ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    And you posted this because...?
    Because your post essentially implies that teachers wouldn’t save students
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    I'm really not sure how your post demonstrates that it's a good idea to give teachers guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    I'm really not sure how your post demonstrates that it's a good idea to give teachers guns.
    It wasn’t supposed to, if you read the comment you quoted you’ll see that my post was a response to the implication that teachers wouldn’t risk their lives to save students

ReputationRep:
    It wasn’t supposed to, if you read the comment you quoted you’ll see that my post was a response to the implication that teachers wouldn’t risk their lives to save students
    I'm sure plenty would, but taking one example doesn't add much. No one can say what they would do if people were shooting at you, especially if you are untrained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    I'm sure plenty would, but taking one example doesn't add much. No one can say what they would do if people were shooting at you, especially if you are untrained.
    I just found it pretty funny how the person I was quoting was saying teachers wouldn’t risk their lives to protect students yet in the school shooting that reinitiated this conversation a teacher died protecting students

ReputationRep:
    *hands teacher a pistol, whole mob enters school with machine guns*

ReputationRep:
    a teacher died protecting students
    More tellingly, perhaps, he was the only one and not even the security officer, armed and trained, could bring himself, in the stress of the moment to do his job. This is a situation that is instantly recognisable to anyone familiar with warfare and gunfire generally.

Nobody can predict how they will behave under fire, not even those who have experienced it before.

ReputationRep:
    Then I don't think I got my point across correctly, because my point is that we shouldn't place on teachers the expectation that they will be responsible - not just for passively trying to save people as in this instance, but also that we expect them to be actively seeking out and killing the shooter as part of being a teacher.

For instance the difference between opening a door to let kids in (something I actually think a lot of humans would be able to do in the circumstances) versus then personally being expected to jump out into a corridor right into the line of fire holding nothing but a handgun, having spent your whole life teaching small children in classrooms rather than working in the military, in order to shoot dead a psychotic man with a machine gun is quite significant!

And for all of the above you would be dealing with the ever-present danger of having guns in schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphrosyne)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/2018...rs_a_23368069/

This idiotic president is suggesting that we give guns to teachers so that they can protect their students when (not if, *when*) there is a gun attack. Guns.. to teachers... where there are students present.... Is he stupid or is he stupid?

Thoughts..
    300 million handguns in America should be enough overthrow the New World Order.

ReputationRep:
    No doubt this is false flag operation to prevent teachers from being armed.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/28/u...ire/index.html

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.