Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I am currently choosing my a-levels and I would like to study medicine at university. I've currently chosen biology, chemistry and history along with an EPQ, but was wondering as to whether this was a smart idea and whether studying history will limit my options when applying to study medicine at universities?
    Has anyone had any experience with doing an essay based subject along with bio and chem / knows whether these choices are fine?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    IT WONT!!

ReputationRep:
    Im going re chem bio and maths at a2 and having an essay based subject is quite good as it helps you maintain writing techniques, which will help in med school and in entry exams (bmat and ukcat)

ReputationRep:
    I’m doing biology, chemistry and history and I’ve had offers for medicine this year. If anything they like to see a bit of variety from subjects (that’s the feedback I’ve had anyway).

The universities want you to do as well as possible and when I was choosing between maths and history they said “if you’re more likely to get an A* in history, do that! If you’re more likely to get an A* in maths, then do that! It makes no difference.”

The only university it will impact is Cambridge, as you need 3 sciences/maths. The only university you’ll benefit from is UCL which like a 3rd contrasting subject for medicine but other than that it won’t hinder your chances at all, especially if history is something you’re good at!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liliandrews)
    I’m doing biology, chemistry and history and I’ve had offers for medicine this year. If anything they like to see a bit of variety from subjects (that’s the feedback I’ve had anyway).

The universities want you to do as well as possible and when I was choosing between maths and history they said “if you’re more likely to get an A* in history, do that! If you’re more likely to get an A* in maths, then do that! It makes no difference.”

The only university it will impact is Cambridge, as you need 3 sciences/maths. The only university you’ll benefit from is UCL which like a 3rd contrasting subject for medicine but other than that it won’t hinder your chances at all, especially if history is something you’re good at!
    Thank you so much!! This makes me feel a lot more confident in my choices now thanks again

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would limit choices, very few, if any unis require maths or another science subject for medicine. Also, I don't know of any that requires an EPQ- of course, do it if you are really interested in a subject and would like to gain research skills, but a lot of my friends are struggling with the workload and as a student applying to medicine, there's already a big workload! I wish you the best of luck, feel free to ask any questions as I'm (hopefully if I get the grades!) going to study medicine this September

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...o-be-a-doctor/

In addition, I believe nexttime has some useful input on this issue.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That's absolutely fine except for Cambridge.

(Original post by liliandrews)
    The only university you’ll benefit from is UCL which like a 3rd contrasting subject for medicine...
    They removed that statement from their entry requirements page a couple years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    That's absolutely fine except for Cambridge.

They removed that statement from their entry requirements page a couple years ago.
    As a 2018 entry applicant and someone who had planned to apply to UCL this year at the most recent open days they informed me that they prefer a third contrasting subject as medicine is so much more than just science and it’s nice to see a range. Just because it’s not on the entry requirements page it doesn’t mean doesn’t still stand.

Having said that my friend has got in this year with biology, chemistry and maths - ‘the medic trio’, so obviously taking 3 science subjects doesn’t put you at a disadvantage but I was just answering a question from first hand information that I received from admissions tutors at the University, not what I read from the internet.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.