Turn on thread page Beta

I suck at driving. I’m just too dumb. Sometimes my instructor tells me to first go right then left then right. He thinks I will remember all this but I wont. When I turn right the first time I ask ‘left? Now?’. I’ve had 26 lessons of 60mins so far. I feel so stupid whenever I am driving. I feel like I’m the dumbest person on earth. 2 or 3 lessons ago he wanted to teach me how to park. He explained it at first so I thought I understood what he meant and tried to park. I did it wrong. Then He explained it again by saying the exact same thing that he said the first time he asked if I understood and I thought I did so I said ‘yes’ and parked wrong again. After him getting pissed and telling me to try to use logic and try to use my brain he explained it again but this time with drawing it and I finally understood what he meant. I always am too scared to ask for an explanation again because I think he’ll yell at me. I’m very bad at driving but him being pissed at me makes me even more stressed than I am. I am thinking about quitting and to start with another driving instructor. The thing is I dont know how to tell him. On tuesday i had a lesson which ended with me being in tears. I was crying and felt like a complete failure after him yelling at me for 10 mins. He said its okay, you are progressing just very very slow. I am so scared to tell him i want to quit. I want to email him but my mom said I need to call him and not be afraid, I am the one paying afterall. My mom doesnt know I cried. She only knows I hate this instructor and she’s okay with me switching to another driving school. The thing is many people that I know have the same instructor. They all say that he’s very nice and helpful. In the first 10 mins he’s nice, then he starts getting pissed and making mean comments. I feel so ****ing stupid for being the only one who cried and dislikes him. Am I the only one who dislikes (hates) their instructor?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I suck at driving. I’m just too dumb. Sometimes my instructor tells me to first go right then left then right. He thinks I will remember all this but I wont. When I turn right the first time I ask ‘left? Now?’. I’ve had 26 lessons of 60mins so far. I feel so stupid whenever I am driving. I feel like I’m the dumbest person on earth. 2 or 3 lessons ago he wanted to teach me how to park. He explained it at first so I thought I understood what he meant and tried to park. I did it wrong. Then He explained it again by saying the exact same thing that he said the first time he asked if I understood and I thought I did so I said ‘yes’ and parked wrong again. After him getting pissed and telling me to try to use logic and try to use my brain he explained it again but this time with drawing it and I finally understood what he meant. I always am too scared to ask for an explanation again because I think he’ll yell at me. I’m very bad at driving but him being pissed at me makes me even more stressed than I am. I am thinking about quitting and to start with another driving instructor. The thing is I dont know how to tell him. On tuesday i had a lesson which ended with me being in tears. I was crying and felt like a complete failure after him yelling at me for 10 mins. He said its okay, you are progressing just very very slow. I am so scared to tell him i want to quit. I want to email him but my mom said I need to call him and not be afraid, I am the one paying afterall. My mom doesnt know I cried. She only knows I hate this instructor and she’s okay with me switching to another driving school. The thing is many people that I know have the same instructor. They all say that he’s very nice and helpful. In the first 10 mins he’s nice, then he starts getting pissed and making mean comments. I feel so ****ing stupid for being the only one who cried and dislikes him. Am I the only one who dislikes (hates) their instructor?
    This does happen, unfortunately. It sounds like it's definitely worth switching though. I know it's scary to do it, but calling to let them know you don't want any more lessons is courteous and they shouldn't end up contacting you again about booking lessons, where if they didn't know they'd be offering them to you and you might have a hard time turning them down and therefore spending money on lessons you don't want. It's important to remember that different instructors work differently for everyone. Some people will love one, others will hate them. We all have different needs and ways of learning, so even if you know other people who get on really well with him it doesn't mean you have to. It sounds like perhaps you understand a bit better with visual aids, which is totally normal. My driving instructor used them all the time, but I found patterns of speech and lists to be most helpful for me. Being able to list through what I needed to do, once I'd figured out a rhythm for it, it just stuck with me a lot better and I remembered what she was telling me. Before that she was having to go over things over and over, especially directions! It's worth mentioning to future possible instructors though because some use them more than others, and if they understand how you learn best they'll be able ot teach you better. It might also be worth giving longer lessons a go. In my horu long ones I found I didn't really learn a whole lot. My learning really came into play with my 2-2.5 hour lessons where I had plenty of time to go over things and practice them.

Just so you know, I'm moving this to the Learning to Drive forum

ReputationRep:
    My instructor does get impatient but never shouts or anything. I think these sorts of instructors are okay if you're a quick learner. Theyll quickly teach everything and after 20 hours you should be just fixing minor errors

otherwise you should really switch, ideally to something big like AA who are more systematic and the driving instructors are more accountable for their actions

ReputationRep:
    Ask him for a demonstration.

But if you spent 30 hours trying to learn to drive and you still can't park then I would stick to a driving simulator until you have free time to learn with your parents.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.