Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’ve recently done my 2nd maths prelim and I’m really worried the I’ve failed it. I didn’t study much as I was focused on my assignments and the exam was really hard. I asked lots of people and they said it was difficult too. My teacher also keeps stressing that we all must get an A, no pressure then.I got an A in my first prelim so if I fail does that mean that I can still do the National 5 maths exam? I really don’t want to be moved down.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bananasplitxxx)
    I’ve recently done my 2nd maths prelim and I’m really worried the I’ve failed it. I didn’t study much as I was focused on my assignments and the exam was really hard. I asked lots of people and they said it was difficult too. My teacher also keeps stressing that we all must get an A, no pressure then.I got an A in my first prelim so if I fail does that mean that I can still do the National 5 maths exam? I really don’t want to be moved down.
    Different schools (and even teachers within schools) will have different policies on this (so nobody can really say for certain), but I wouldn't think that you wouldn't be allowed to sit the exam if you got an A in the first prelim. Assuming you have done as you predict, they will probably be very concerned about the fact that on paper, you have 'got worse' though.

Spoiler:
    Show

PS- I've moved this over to Scottish Qualifications for you

ReputationRep:
    Never mind it’s all good, I forgot that you got marks for the working. Apparently it was a very hard test but I managed to pass at 75 which was a shock. Thanks for the help anyway.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Never mind it’s all good, I forgot that you got marks for the working. Apparently it was a very hard test but I managed to pass at 75 which was a shock. Thanks for the help anyway.
    keep doing questions and you'll be fine. Do questions in different orders, so do a mix of topics as this will be more like the exam. Your brain will get used to dealing with different formulas and questions
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No worries- that's a great score, especially considering you thought you failed!

ReputationRep:
    I got 86% in my N5 prelim, I would recommend watching DLBmaths on YouTube, he gives and explains all the answers to the questions in the past papers. I would also recommend practicing as many questions as you can as it becomes muscle memory and you remember the formulas better, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeadarKing)
    I got 86% in my N5 prelim, I would recommend watching DLBmaths on YouTube, he gives and explains all the answers to the questions in the past papers. I would also recommend practicing as many questions as you can as it becomes muscle memory and you remember the formulas better, good luck!
    Wow 86% is amazing, I’ll check it out thanks for the advice
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on your teacher/school. There was some people in my class who barely passed and there were some who didn't pass at all and they are still doing nat 5. If you are really struggling with maths you can do units which will give you a pass at national 5 but without the exam at the end. I think that's only at a C grade level though.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.