Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, first of all I'm black so I've got the really curly kinky African hair thing going on, so im wanting to grow my hair out and it's been about 5months and when I pull my hair down it gets to like just in-between my eyebrows.
    I haven't been using any products or whatever but I've been watching videos on YouTube and they all talk about using shampoo and conditioners and moisturizer and all that shi*. I've just been on Amazon and I was this close to buying stuff worth £50 and then I thought I'd ask someone before I go waste money. So pretty much my question is do I have to do all the shampoo conditioner thing or can I just moisturise my hair with like oils daily?
    Thanks in advance.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by vecko)
    Hi, first of all I'm black so I've got the really curly kinky African hair thing going on, so im wanting to grow my hair out and it's been about 5months and when I pull my hair down it gets to like just in-between my eyebrows.
    I haven't been using any products or whatever but I've been watching videos on YouTube and they all talk about using shampoo and conditioners and moisturizer and all that shi*. I've just been on Amazon and I was this close to buying stuff worth £50 and then I thought I'd ask someone before I go waste money. So pretty much my question is do I have to do all the shampoo conditioner thing or can I just moisturise my hair with like oils daily?
    Thanks in advance.
    I'm not all that sure if I'm honest, but it's definitely a good idea to check in before dropping that amount of cash! There will be a cheaper way though. There's someone writing a blog at the moment about learning to take care of their hair, it sounds like it might be a similar type to yours, so you could have a read through what they've been trying out or leave them a post or something maybe? Link here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5131588. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I know there are certain oils which can help with hair growth, making it healthier and longer. Just make sure they're not adding any chemicals that may damage your hair- it's the last think you want ahah! How fast your hair grows can depend on your genes, but if you keep your hair really healthy that can help tons too!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by vecko)
    Thanks in advance.
    I have caucasian afro hair, so it handles a little different but not massively so. Boots do some great afro hair products which aren't too expensive. I'd suggest wash (maybe once or twice a week) and condition, and use whatever oil or butter you prefer (I like coconut but some people like olive etc) on your hair between. My hair used to be down to the middle of my back when I pulled it down! Had it cut back to a poof lately though...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.