Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (I'm using my sister's account). I just got into UCL for the Civil Engineering BEng course. I have gone and seen it, and its prestige and location made me put it at the top of my list. However, after looking around on the internet I found out that for its prestige, the students don't seem to happy with it. Comments like 'too busy professors', 'you basically get taught by a text book' and 'the facilities are poor' are of concern to me. So I was wondering to hear about civil engineering specifically. Are there any people on here doing that course who would mind telling me how they find it and why they reckon it's so low? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktprice3)
    (I'm using my sister's account). I just got into UCL for the Civil Engineering BEng course. I have gone and seen it, and its prestige and location made me put it at the top of my list. However, after looking around on the internet I found out that for its prestige, the students don't seem to happy with it. Comments like 'too busy professors', 'you basically get taught by a text book' and 'the facilities are poor' are of concern to me. So I was wondering to hear about civil engineering specifically. Are there any people on here doing that course who would mind telling me how they find it and why they reckon it's so low? Thanks in advance!
    Also how good are they with internships and career advice?

ReputationRep:
    Not related to your course or those particular comments you found, but I'd imagine a large factor in low student satisfaction is simply the fact that it's in London. Students generally have to commute to lectures, find daily living way too expensive, and can sometimes feel cut-off socially in London.

However don't be put off by that, your student experience is what you make of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanzhol)
    Not related to your course or those particular comments you found, but I'd imagine a large factor in low student satisfaction is simply the fact that it's in London. Students generally have to commute to lectures, find daily living way too expensive, and can sometimes feel cut-off socially in London.

However don't be put off by that, your student experience is what you make of it
    TBF it's also the reasons that she stated above. London unis often don't care much about undergrads and care way more about research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    TBF it's also the reasons that she stated above. London unis often don't care much about undergrads and care way more about research.
    Good point. For example I would've considered applying to UCL for my course, but part of what put me off was hearing that they care much more about/put much more effort into their postgrad students.

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.