Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am 3 quarters white, and 1 quarter black, seeing as the justification for using the N word goes back to slavery which I am descended from am i allowed to say it?, i personally think i am but just interested on others thoughts

ReputationRep:
    .....You want a simple answer?
    Spoiler:
    Show

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDieMstr)
    .....You want a simple answer?
    Spoiler:
    Show

No.

Why though? its a part of my history in the same way it is for a lot of black people

ReputationRep:
    im not tryna offend you but you have to be full black and have like a dark skin, well if u do say it in public no one knows your part black they'll just find it offensive so i advise u not to say it and why do you wanna say it?

what colour eyes?

ReputationRep:
    Lol ur not even half black...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam717)
    im not tryna offend you but you have to be full black and have like a dark skin, well if u do say it in public no one knows your part black they'll just find it offensive so i advise u not to say it and why do you wanna say it?
    i never say it and i dont really care that much tbh, my point is people feel they can say it not because of the history of the word but really because they feel they have a right like this over another race, also its widely accepted that half black people can say it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    what colour eyes?
    green

ReputationRep:
    No-one should really say it, the face your even asking this question is literally a joke. Your asking random strangers, most of them probably aren't even black, on whether your allowed to say a word that's generally considered quite offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peeked)
    No-one should really say it, the face your even asking this question is literally a joke. Your asking random strangers, most of them probably aren't even black, on whether your allowed to say a word that's generally considered quite offensive.
    i agree with you its offensive cause of its history, but my point is this history which only a certain type of black person shares (black carribean and african americans) so i dont see why all black people feel like they can use it, for example if you were african and never had any ancestors who were slaves like i did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finorin00)
    i agree with you its offensive cause of its history, but my point is this history which only a certain type of black person shares (black carribean and african americans) so i dont see why all black people feel like they can use it, for example if you were african and never had any ancestors who were slaves like i did
    Yes exactly, a lot of people just say it because it’s ‘cool’ and makes them look really ‘grown up’ as there using these big words 🤦.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Oh please, I'm fully black and don't say that word. It simply makes me feel uncomfortable. No one should really say it, but because black rappers and singers say it so much, the degradation that word has is "diluted".

ReputationRep:
    it's an awful word black or white no one should say it. it's like calling disable ppl cripples. sorry for example but it's not something you go around saying it's all so offensive no matter what skin colour is, we are all humans, can't we celebrate our similarities, not differences?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    yes you can. im 100% white and i can say it. no one owns the word dear so use it all you like, regardless of skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    Many Africans have ancestors who were slaves that later moved back to Africa, such as mine. My ancestors were raped and exploited by slavers, and I'm African
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am 3 quarters white, and 1 quarter black, seeing as the justification for using the N word goes back to slavery which I am descended from am i allowed to say it?, i personally think i am but just interested on others thoughts
    No, but let me explain.

With your family history and the history of this country, at one point a part of your family used to own, maltreat and kill another part of your family.

The white part believed that the black part were 3/5 human and were not even regarded normal to be treated with compassion. They were treated like animals and worked to their bones. The weak ones were killed off and the strong ones bred like basic animals.

The N-word was used to provide the verbal disdain that they had for the other man and his people. Even when the slave trade ended, the white part got paid for loss of their “interests”, but most of the black part was given nothing. Some were even lynched and killed instantly because they were no longer of us.

You see some elements of the racism have existed to this day. Yeah, we have progressed a bit from those days, but work needs to be done.

Even with all of that, what is in your mind is why you are unable to use the same word that a part of your family used to dehumanise another part.

It is okay for someone to be uneducated and can be educated, it is a shame to be ignorant and still be the embodiment of progress from a horrible history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yourgyalsmcm)
    Many Africans have ancestors who were slaves that later moved back to Africa, such as mine. My ancestors were raped and exploited by slavers, and I'm African
    well then your allowed to use it, and by that justification so am i even though i look more white than black as i had ancestors who were slaves as well, however not all people who are 100% black share the same history as us so i dont get why they feel they own the word

ReputationRep:
    depends context calling someone it prepared to receive the backlash.

at the end of the day im black and i do not identify myself by race and i think most people shouldn't break down when an ignorant fool resorts to race to prove a already redundant point.

so in this day and age No you will offend people only beacause theyve been told to be offended by it but in the next few years humans will do another thing terrible to one another and it will be the new word.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by trill_val)
    depends context calling someone it prepared to receive the backlash.

at the end of the day im black and i do not identify myself by race and i think most people shouldn't break down when an ignorant fool resorts to race to prove a already redundant point.

so in this day and age No you will offend people only beacause theyve been told to be offended by it but in the next few years humans will do another thing terrible to one another and it will be the new word.
    What do you identify yourself as?

ReputationRep:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.