The Student Room Group

Please give me a truthful answer

so just found out that i have to get a surgery which would leave me unable to have kids in the future.

I want to get a truthful answer from you people, if you would be more likely to avoid a serious relationship with a person who is unable to have kids.

I am guy btw, i want to know everyone thoughts.

please be truthful and don't lie to spare my feelings

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly, i'd say that if you find 'the one' then they wont mind. I know that for myself it wouldnt put me off as i'd rather spend my life with the right person and not have kids or even adopt than wonder what life would've been like with them.
Original post by Anonymous
so just found out that i have to get a surgery which would leave me unable to have kids in the future.

I want to get a truthful answer from you people, if you would be more likely to avoid a serious relationship with a person who is unable to have kids.

it wouldn't have put me off too much as long as you were open to adoption.
Reply 3
same answer as previous answers but can i ask why you wont be able to have kids
Reply 4
Original post by lcrxx
Honestly, i'd say that if you find 'the one' then they wont mind. I know that for myself it wouldnt put me off as i'd rather spend my life with the right person and not have kids or even adopt than wonder what life would've been like with them.

To find the 'one' you would have to get to know them more, and i think my 'situation' would hinder me from getting that far, as many people are generally put off when they hear this first and refuse to date me further

Can't they freeze your sperm?
Reply 6
Original post by sam717
same answer as previous answers but can i ask why you wont be able to have kids

I don't remember much from the appointment from today because my mind blanked out. Basically i have the lump on my balls, which cause me intense pain and surgery has to be done which would stop my sperm prodcution (?). It won't affect anything else, like my sexual desire or anything.
Reply 7
To be honest it wouldn't matter to me, the person I am with being a decent caring partner is far more important than anything. Think of it in reverse, would you think differently about an amazing woman if she didn't produce eggs for a baby that you both might decide you never want? If you both decide kids are something you want way in the future there are plenty of options.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Can't they freeze your sperm?

Don't know much about it, pretty sure you have self-fund it.
Reply 9
Wouldn’t put me off at all since I can’t have them either. There are so many other options now, sperm donor, surrogacy, adoption, if people really want kids then there’s always a way.

I do think it’s important to let people know early on though, or you end up wasting both of your time wanting different things. There will be plenty of girls out there who aren’t bothered so don’t worry about it.
this may be stupid but before the surgery can they extract your sperm freeze it and when your ready to have kids insert it in you partner or have ivf done? you can always have adoption or a donor
I really would not mind, considering that the process can be done other ways, such as through adopting or whatever have you. It's about you as an individual! I would not cast aside the person I love the most just because they can't have kids. :smile:
Don't know much about it, pretty sure you have self-fund it.

Not if you are young and have no kids - ask about it.
Original post by cat_mac
Wouldn’t put me off at all since I can’t have them either. There are so many other options now, sperm donor, surrogacy, adoption, if people really want kids then there’s always a way.

I do think it’s important to let people know early on though, or you end up wasting both of your time wanting different things. There will be plenty of girls out there who aren’t bothered so don’t worry about it.

Word mah nig*a. WORD. Take a rep your advice... speechless.
Original post by sam717
this may be stupid but before the surgery can they extract your sperm freeze it and when your ready to have kids insert it in you partner or have ivf done? you can always have adoption or a donor

Quick question about sperm freeze, does the babies you have when you are a teenager and babies you have in adult are they different.

If the OP is unfit and fat (like me) and have kid now , how would they compare to kid he has in 10 years later when he is fit and healthy

I know this isn't related to the question posed but just wanted to know
I personally won't, due to the fact i would want my kids to like me, share my DNA. If you will pass my seeds on
I wouldn't mind and plan to adopt anyway!

Its far easier for guys in your position - sperm donation is pretty easy and straightforward. Not a woman but I don't think this will be much of an issue in your life.
It would only bother me if you didn't want kids. Not being able to have kids isn't an issue as long as you still want kids.
I don't remember much from the appointment from today because my mind blanked out. Basically i have the lump on my balls, which cause me intense pain and surgery has to be done which would stop my sperm prodcution (?). It won't affect anything else, like my sexual desire or anything.

if it is just one testicle which is affected then the remaining one would carry on functioning normally.

Quick Reply