Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This was asked a while ago, but with the increase of Dash cams on the roads, it’d be interesting to see how many people have one.

I have one, specifically the Nextbase 312GW. I would never drive on the roads without it.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDTWeK4PPhw

ReputationRep:
    TBH driver could have anticipated that coming and slowed...

this is what you need to be worried about
    https://youtu.be/1bb-Nns9VwY?t=3m20s
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My dad has one but never remembers to use it. It sits in the glove box.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not yet but I want one.

How much did it cost everyone for their specific one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    TBH driver could have anticipated that coming and slowed...

It's me, and no I couldn't have anticipated him being in the wrong lane and deciding he was going to move in front of me whilst at a slower speed - I started slowing down as soon as he indicated but I think by the time he'd actually managed to squeeze in front of me I was reading around 35~ that's how slow he was going. That isn't one of those generic merge roads, it leads onto the exit towards the M25. If you want to come off that road, at least give people either the opportunity to slow down or actually speed up to match the the speed everyone else is doing around you. With that said with some experience of that happening to me regularly? Probably, but not after 2 months.

Also ye seen that lmao, wasn't expecting him to throw himself on the windscreen that's quality bait.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    Looking back through the footage, I have noticed a hazard:
    A lorry driving round a corner on a small road in icy conditions too fast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    This was asked a while ago, but with the increase of Dash cams on the roads, it’d be interesting to see how many people have one.

I have one, specifically the Nextbase 312GW. I would never drive on the roads without it.
    They're expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKaur18)
    They're expensive.
    Nextbase do a supply and hardwire fit for around 30-40 quid. You don't have to go all out and get a whistles and bells one for like £100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    Nextbase do a supply and hardwire fit for around 30-40 quid. You don't have to go all out and get a whistles and bells one for like £100.
    Ah cool, i'll have a look.

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool, i'll have a look.
    Should have specified further, this is done at Halfords.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they've been invaluable for me. Had 3 non fault accidents in 2 years (thanks London). Most the time the 3rd party will be a good sport and own up to it. However, most recently, one decided to run off. As that was a criminal offence, the dashcam footage provided solid evidence. It also helps in the case that you need to go through credit hire / accident management. I recommend everyone to have one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Was there anything to your right? It doesn't look like it? Couldn't you have just moved right when you saw the guy trying to pull into your lane instead of slamming on your brakes? Just an observation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nope, too worried about incriminating myself for speeding :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Was there anything to your right? It doesn't look like it? Couldn't you have just moved right when you saw the guy trying to pull into your lane instead of slamming on your brakes? Just an observation.
    Yeah, there was a Silver C-Max (I think, basically you'll see after a couple of seconds a c-max bombing it down the far right). He moved another lane to the right after he saw me crawl over the line. I could have probably moved (and probably likely with more experience I'd have done -something- rather than nothing at all), but he'd have definitely had to either swerve fast or go into the back of me. Pretty sure he was speeding as well but that's neither here nor there lol.

Now I know exactly why people hate middle lane hogs so much, I had few options and not long to pick any of them, so the Prius chose for me. This was my second time on the m4 ever since I started that "new left lane life, new me" nonsense :P So I'm naturally used to not really having any kind of thought process near slip road merges. This merge in particular isn't the most friendly because people can either merge onto the M4 from it, or stay in those two lanes which go towards the A312 - so it's not always clear whether they're going to come off it or not; usually if they are they'll indicate long before that unless they intend on jumping a queue somewhere down the line.

On another note, caught a Maserati Ghibli with Russian plates in Hatton Cross on my way back to work from my break earlier on today, debating whether to pull the clip before I lose it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by accountant-future)
    Not yet but I want one.

How much did it cost everyone for their specific one?
    About £100, mine is a Nextbase 312GW (Got mine from Halfords)

They're expensive.
    There's some you can get for as little as £15. Plus, some insurance companies give a discount for having it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Meh, at least they flashed to say sorry :dontknow:

(Also... you weren't in the middle lane! This is a huge achievement for nevershear! IWMTom)

(Original post by Joinedup)
    The very reason why I'll never drive without having a Dashcam in the car.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, at least they flashed to say sorry :dontknow:
    Yeah, only reason I ran the clip that long; it was an unusual gesture.

ReputationRep:
    I own a Nextbase 312GW,bought it for £80 from eBay and got a hardwire kit for £20.

With me being a new driver it's useful since if something minor happens on the road I can play back and ask "Was I in the wrong? What should I have done?" so it's quite good as a learning curve.

I've had a couple of people cut me up, the local dual carriageway roundabout has wrong road markings (the council have agreed they are wrong, but said they won't fix them) so hopefully I won't need it for that, but it's there...

ReputationRep:
    About £100, mine is a Nextbase 312GW (Got mine from Halfords)

There's some you can get for as little as £15. Plus, some insurance companies give a discount for having it.
    Yeah, I have never seen the 312GW below £70.

£15 quality isn't as good as a £70 one.. just have to shop around to find the best dash cam..

Have you needed to use your dash cam at all?

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.