Turn on thread page Beta

Do you own a Dash cam? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKaur18)
    Yeah, I have never seen the 312GW below £70.

£15 quality isn't as good as a £70 one.. just have to shop around to find the best dash cam..

Have you needed to use your dash cam at all?
    In contrast, the Viofo is £100 as well, but only on Ebay, and it comes in from China and takes a couple of weeks. There's a lot of situations where I'm glad I have it. A clio overtook me and started brake tasting me back on Tuesday because he tried to push into my lane after a set of lights (a position he found himself in from queuejumping) and then got upset that he was outrun by a Fiesta once we were past the congestion (I stopped at 40, as it was a 40 road, he eventually got to 50 and went in front of me).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    TBH driver could have anticipated that coming and slowed...

this is what you need to be worried about
    https://youtu.be/1bb-Nns9VwY?t=3m20s
    love that video!!! xD

No, don't have one. Fortunately in my recent crash, driver (taxi driver) was immediately open about not looking to the right at the junction, and admitted full liability... Maybe next time I won't be so lucky, and have been considering getting one to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    In contrast, the Viofo is £100 as well, but only on Ebay, and it comes in from China and takes a couple of weeks. There's a lot of situations where I'm glad I have it. A clio overtook me and started brake tasting me back on Tuesday because he tried to push into my lane after a set of lights (a position he found himself in from queuejumping) and then got upset that he was outrun by a Fiesta once we were past the congestion (I stopped at 40, as it was a 40 road, he eventually got to 50 and went in front of me).
    I’ve had issues with ebay a bit and china, so I tend to not trust it as much.

Having a dash cam and being in that situation, what do you do? You can’t really do much about it unless you report them?

I thought dash cams are used to use as evidence if you see or are in an accident.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve had issues with ebay a bit and china, so I tend to not trust it as much.

Having a dash cam and being in that situation, what do you do? You can’t really do much about it unless you report them?

I thought dash cams are used to use as evidence if you see or are in an accident.
    Because if he tight overtakes me, brakes hard and I go into the back of him, as far as my insurer's concerned - I'm to blame for being too close because they don't know any better. Doesn't sound like much to think of in theory, but then we go into crash for cars, guys driving around with no bloody brake lights so you can't brake when they do. Guess who gets blamed in that scenario? Without proof - it's you again!

Similar to the footage I posted, whilst it can be argued there were alternative possibilities (which has equally thin chances of success - and also being the reason I need a rear cam to show why lol), if he got in front of me and then braked, I get blamed from an insurance PoV when it's not my fault if he obstructs my path with change of direction lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    Because if he tight overtakes me, brakes hard and I go into the back of him, as far as my insurer's concerned - I'm to blame for being too close because they don't know any better. Doesn't sound like much to think of in theory, but then we go into crash for cars, guys driving around with no bloody brake lights so you can't brake when they do. Guess who gets blamed in that scenario? Without proof - it's you again!

Similar to the footage I posted, whilst it can be argued there were alternative possibilities (which has equally thin chances of success - and also being the reason I need a rear cam to show why lol), if he got in front of me and then braked, I get blamed from an insurance PoV when it's not my fault if he obstructs my path with change of direction lol.
    Ah that makes sense tbf. I never really thought of that. But then again, it’s usually young “boys” driving and causing issues on the road.

Just need to get through the practical test now 🚘

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as a learner driver I mostly use it to review my driving, mostly to see if I hesitate etc as I'm getting ready for my test
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah, I have never seen the 312GW below £70.

£15 quality isn't as good as a £70 one.. just have to shop around to find the best dash cam..

Have you needed to use your dash cam at all?
    Yep, I had a crash, which wasn't my fault in the slightest, and the insurance demanded some sort of evidence. I'm guessing they didn't believe me, but I sent them the dash cam footage and it was resolved instantly.

You may see £100 as a huge expense to pay for a dash cam, but it'll pay you back in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    That's good then, that you had it.

Yeah £100 is nothing compared to the excess on insurance and all

(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Yep, I had a crash, which wasn't my fault in the slightest, and the insurance demanded some sort of evidence. I'm guessing they didn't believe me, but I sent them the dash cam footage and it was resolved instantly.

You may see £100 as a huge expense to pay for a dash cam, but it'll pay you back in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samantha-mariee)
    Yes, as a learner driver I mostly use it to review my driving, mostly to see if I hesitate etc as I'm getting ready for my test
    How many hours of driving have you had so far?

ReputationRep:
    A lot, I've lost count. Over 50 without my instructor, when I've recovered from my surgery I'm booking my test
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    This was asked a while ago, but with the increase of Dash cams on the roads, it’d be interesting to see how many people have one.

I have one, specifically the Nextbase 312GW. I would never drive on the roads without it.
    Ive got one, my dad just needs to fit it for me (i have the kit where it goes into the fusebox etc).

ReputationRep:
    Been using one for sometime now.

Now I also record from the rear.

Before I bought a standalone one I used to use this app called Vidometer and used that as my dashcam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    Nope, too worried about incriminating myself for speeding :lol:
    :spank:

:auto:

ReputationRep:
    Yes a colleague at my place of work gave me a Mio Camera cheap.

I would say that however much you pay, it it always worth having one, as even £130 for one of the best cameras with GPS could potentially save you an insurance excess for far more.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.