Turn on thread page Beta

So Stressed Out!!! Scratched someone's car - HELP. watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s done this! I was trying to park in a bay between two other parked cars today (I only recently passed my test at the start of February.) So I was pulling in to the space and misjudged how close I was to the other car! I knocked the rear wing very slightly and the driver was in the car! So anyway I reversed away a little, got out the car and said how sorry I was to him. He took my name, address, number and insurance details as well as photos of the scratches. Now I’m panicking that my insurance is going to skyrocket and I have a black box already which tells me how my driving is. Short story is if it goes up then I won’t be able to afford it and it comes off my dad’s card but I have to pay him back! I’m lost on what to do as well
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Brooke421)
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s done this! I was trying to park in a bay between two other parked cars today (I only recently passed my test at the start of February.) So I was pulling in to the space and misjudged how close I was to the other car! I knocked the rear wing very slightly and the driver was in the car! So anyway I reversed away a little, got out the car and said how sorry I was to him. He took my name, address, number and insurance details as well as photos of the scratches. Now I’m panicking that my insurance is going to skyrocket and I have a black box already which tells me how my driving is. Short story is if it goes up then I won’t be able to afford it and it comes off my dad’s card but I have to pay him back! I’m lost on what to do as well
    Hi there,

I’ve moved your post to a brand new thread to get you more replies, please don’t bump old threads.

If you’ve got the contact details of the guy, then ask him if you can settle it without claiming through insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I know this won't help, and that I'm a stranger, but I'm really proud of you. At least you did the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with RoyalSheepy, definitely offer to pay for damages without going through insurance - unfortunately, some people insist on going through insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I have already begged and pleaded him to settle this privately or to just forget that it happened but he’s insisting that he has to get the spot repainted and he wants to go through insurance to sort it out financially

(Original post by anonymousm3)
    I agree with RoyalSheepy, definitely offer to pay for damages without going through insurance - unfortunately, some people insist on going through insurance.
    There are many, MANY stories of people offering to settle privately, and then refusing to pay when they get the quote sent to them, or start arguing and insist they use Dodgy Dave down Back St rather than a proper outfit as an insurer would. If I was in the same boat I would do exactly the same. It's far less hassle.

Asking him to forget about it probably didn't help things, either.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is settling privately is a risk to him, as it probably means him not declaring the accident to his insurer which means he can't then decide to do so later if you don't pay up. If someone gave me a knock I'd take the hit of going to an insurer in his position too, where he'll keep his NCB and his premium will barely budge, if anything - far better trade-off than relying on someone he doesn't know.

Your premiums will definitely go up (one accident for me back on my provisional was worth around £600 extra, but I managed to soften the blow by going with a really dog tier insurer for a year so I can get NCB) but such is a learning curve.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Brooke421)
    Even if you did sort it out privately, you'd still have to declare the collision - your premiums are going to suffer regardless.

ReputationRep:
    Happened to me once before. Some guy hit my car from behind, was awfully good about it, offered to pay privately. To his surprise the bill came to around 3-4k for repairs so he gave up and agreed to go through insurance. What he thought was a simple bumper collision, he did not expect further damage from behind the bumper, i.e, the exhaust. The not at fault party has the right to choose main dealer for repairs, as they should not be worse off than before the collision. They also have no obligation to go with a cheap local garage they deem a compromise. Moreover, they have the right to a like-for-like replacement vehicle whilst their one is off the road / in for repairs. Unfortunately for the guy who hit me, my like-for-like hire vehicle at the time costed £330/day to hire and the repairs took 2 weeks. This was all chased and claimed on my behalf by my accident management company against his insurers. Granted not every vehicle you hit is going to be that expensive to repair/compensate but sometimes it's just better to through insurance and get it solved properly.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.