Turn on thread page Beta

What do you study, and why? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.
    What do you study at uni, and why did you choose it?

Thanks
    WiSi.

ReputationRep:
    Gravy because it is tasty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Gravy because it is tasty.
    Why did you choose philosophy ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Why did you choose philosophy ?
    'Wisdom is the ambrosia that brings satisfaction'.

For me as well as Bhavaviveka.

Sounds contrived but it is true. I was into Indian philosophy and wanted a degree to show I knew a bit about it. Then I wanted a couple more to show that I knew enough about it to research, and that's where I am now!

ReputationRep:

For me as well as Bhavaviveka.

Sounds contrived but it is true. I was into Indian philosophy and wanted a degree to show I knew a bit about it. Then I wanted a couple more to show that I knew enough about it to research, and that's where I am now!
    What do you think of Naom Chomsky ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    What do you think of Naom Chomsky ?
    I'm only superficially acquainted with his linguistics stuff so can't pass any real comment on that. I can take or leave his politics, really.

ReputationRep:
    Maths because it's flexible I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    Does the fact I thought of custard make me unwise? Is that the elegance of the quote? It's a test of wisdom in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Does the fact I thought of custard make me unwise? Is that the elegance of the quote? It's a test of wisdom in itself.
    So did I when I first read it :laugh:

But I am Mills' satisfied pig in many, many ways.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm... gravy...

I study law, because I hate myself and want to atone.

ReputationRep:
    I did my first degree in Filmmaking and Screenwriting. Honestly, I went down that route because I felt like I had to be in education and it was an area I did well in. My main skill and hobby had been fiction writing since I was nine years old, and my strongest subjects were English and Media Studies, so I decided to do a HND in Media and Communication with a goal of going into journalism. I began to lean more towards film through that two year course and decided to continue it at university. In the end though I realised that film isn't the direction I want to go in as a career, as I prefer to work on my own creative projects rather than others. And when I did lead projects I found working to deadlines stunted the creative process and I was adapting stories to entertain a mainstream audience rather than what I felt should happen. It just wasn't the right fit for me. I still create, but for a niche audience (LGBT).

I now study Applied Biomedical Science. It started with an interest in fish genetics, disease, and water chemistry after I took up fish-keeping that led to a HNC in Applied Science with the goal of studying marine biology. But through that course I learned the areas of biology that appealed most to me and this felt like a better fit. I'm not 100% sure what I want to do, but this feels like the right route for me. There isn't a day where I feel like, "why am I doing this?" because it feels like I'm finally in the right place at the right time. Although if I went back ten years in time and told 15yo me that I'd willingly pursue science one day she would laugh at me. I sucked at science until I buckled down and forced myself to try and get good at it.

Media I was naturally good at, I never studied, and I did well. Science I struggle with, it's not something I have a natural affinity for, but I try hard at it and it feels good when I finally wrap my head around a concept.

ReputationRep:
    Early Childhood Studies because i want to work with children and possibly become a primary school teacher

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.