The Student Room Group

EU says UK drivers could be BANNED in Europe

Why? What is the point in the EU doing this?

Scroll to see replies

RIP Louis Hamilton's future F1 career
Reply 2
Source would be nice - but, they have to. Unless we have an agreement to align our driving requirements and rules, there cannot be unity and uniformity between the EU and the UK.

The entire issue with the notion of Brexit is that it is inherent uncertainty - the EU could ban UK citizens from entering, they could ban imports from and exports to the UK et cetera... it all depends on our withdrawal agreement.
Reply 3
They're just scared, its nothing to worry about, we could do the same to Europeans here.
Thats right I heard on the radio coming back from college the other day. The reason they are doing it is because we are leaving the EU and as such a U.K. driving licence will no longer be classed as an EU driving licence.

My driving instructor said if you get a full licence with the EU symbol on it before October 2018 then you will still be allowed to drive in EU countries as grandfather rights. But new licence holders after that date won’t be able to. The new licence will have the EU flag replaced with the Union Jack. A motorbike licence counts too.

(My driving instructor is also an HGV- PCV instructor (Lorries and Buses) too and told me that they no longer teach the European section of the CPC as it’s being removed from the syllabus. The CPC is a theory qualification for professional drivers.)
Original post by ns_2
Source would be nice - but, they have to. Unless we have an agreement to align our driving requirements and rules, there cannot be unity and uniformity between the EU and the UK.

The entire issue with the notion of Brexit is that it is inherent uncertainty - the EU could ban UK citizens from entering, they could ban imports from and exports to the UK et cetera... it all depends on our withdrawal agreement.

Don’t worry it only applies to new licence holders after Oct 2018. If you already hold a valid full driving licence cat B or A etc (pink card with EU flag) then you can still drive in Europe so long as your licence is valid. It’s called Grandfather rights :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jdddd
They're just scared, its nothing to worry about, we could do the same to Europeans here.

I dont they would give a ****.
Even if the EU don't recognise British driving licences there'll probably be reciprocal arrangements for short term driving which is what most people will do. That's how it works with non-EU countries after all!

The really annoying thing about it is that UK licences used to include several additional categories (for example trailer towing) but that had to change thanks to the EU. I doubt they'll be reinstated though!
Brexit's Mum can't find jeggings big enough for her huge mottled thighs.
Reply 9
Original post by Caesar333
I dont they would give a ****.

In English.
who cares, I am much more affected by EU migrant labours impact on rent in my local area and my access to public services , than my once a year need to be able to use my British Driving License to drive in europe.
Original post by CurlyBen
Even if the EU don't recognise British driving licences there'll probably be reciprocal arrangements for short term driving which is what most people will do. That's how it works with non-EU countries after all!

The really annoying thing about it is that UK licences used to include several additional categories (for example trailer towing) but that had to change thanks to the EU. I doubt they'll be reinstated though!

As I told someone else if you currently hold a full valid U.K. driving licence there’s nothing to worry about, you will always be allowed to drive in Europe as you always have after Brexit. It’s only new licences issued at the end of 2018 that will be affected. It’s called Grandfather rights :smile:
*Yawn. I seriously doubt it somehow.
Who gives a crap.

If you know how to drive then you know how to drive. How often have you been stopped in life to have your driving license checked?
Original post by hannah00
who cares, I am much more affected by EU migrant labours impact on rent in my local area and my access to public services , than my once a year need to be able to use my British Driving License to drive in europe.

Says the voice of the Daily Mail.
Let’s be honest. The roads of Europe will be safer without sunburnt lost brits driving down it. With the possible exception of Italy.
Original post by Ambitious1999

aww name calling.

Its hilarious to me how many remainers, dont understand the concept of cost benefit analysis.
As I told someone else if you currently hold a full valid U.K. driving licence there’s nothing to worry about, you will always be allowed to drive in Europe as you always have after Brexit. It’s only new licences issued at the end of 2018 that will be affected. It’s called Grandfather rights :smile:

Sure, I understand that. I was just pointing out that drivers from non-EU countries can still drive within the EU for a short period of time without an EU licence.
Reply 18
Original post by hannah00

Very true. Maybe we should start imposing ridiculous things on European migrants if the EU does it to us. They're scared thats why. A major EU player inputting 350 million a week, they must be angry and scared, their EU dreams in tatters. F*ck the EU.
Reply 19

Think you'll find the statement is from a working class citizen buddy.

Quick Reply