Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Having used two years funding for an HND course already, I know that we would have to find some way of funding year 1 of a BA course. However, would my daughter still be able to apply for the maintenance loan for year 1 to cover living expenses?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Cheesecake2266)
    Having used two years funding for an HND course already, I know that we would have to find some way of funding year 1 of a BA course. However, would my daughter still be able to apply for the maintenance loan for year 1 to cover living expenses?

Hi Cheesecake2266,

To help you better can I ask you a few questions.

Is your daughter completing a one year End On/Top Up course to allow the student to top up a previous completed course to a higher level such as a full BA or BSc. or is she starting from year one on a new 3 year degree course ?

Secondly prior to her two year HND course has your daughter had any other years of previous study?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,Rona. My daughter did a one year foundation course in art and design at a local college which we funded ourselves. Then she did an HND in art and design funded by SFE which ends this summer. She has applied for a 3 year BA course in illustration, with an offer starting in year 1 and an offer starting in year 2.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thanks,Rona. My daughter did a one year foundation course in art and design at a local college which we funded ourselves. Then she did an HND in art and design funded by SFE which ends this summer. She has applied for a 3 year BA course in illustration, with an offer starting in year 1 and an offer starting in year 2.
    Hi Cheesecake2266,

Students are entitled to the full length of their course plus an additional year minus any previous study even if this was self funded, if your daughter was going into the 1st year of a 3 year course she would be entitled to 3+1=4-2=2 years of funding available, she can still apply for a maintenance loan for the 1st year of the course.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    So even if we had to cover the tuition costs of Year 1, she could still apply for the maintenance loan as normal?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    So even if we had to cover the tuition costs of Year 1, she could still apply for the maintenance loan as normal?
    Hi Cheesecake2266,

Yes, that is correct, she can apply for the maintenance loan.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant! Definitely got lots to think about. Thank you.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.