Turn on thread page Beta

Hello everyone,
    For those of you who went/go to medical school in the UK,

I was wondering how likely did your class rank/decile in phase 1 (pre clinical) predict your class ranking in phase 2 (clinical years?)

For example, did it stay the around same?if not, why is that?

thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Mine went up, quite dramatically by finals. But I’ve always been better at the practical application and management in medicine than trying to remember which receptor does what or random, highly specific facts

We didn't have deciles at my uni, but my place on the Bell curve of exam results went down slightly in 4th year. Could have been partly due to me stepping down a year after intercalating though, the year I went into was smarter than my original year

ReputationRep:
    Mines stayed pretty consistent ... not sure if that’s massively helpful haha.

ReputationRep:
    Mine went up in clinical years for sure, less focus on raw learning of benign facts and more on important signs/symptoms/investigation/management.

I didn't look at my decile in pre-clinical years, but my grades dropped dramatically and I only scraped through third year before escaping off to my intercalated degree.

I just don't learn from standing in the corner of a patient's cubicle being talked at, and I didn't bother with any book-learning when I got home, so developed a vicious cycle of disenchantment.

If I were doing it all again I'd sign up to a question bank early (as I find that kind of learning stimulating at least!) and carry a wee notebook in my back pocket to make notes on topics that are mentioned- this helped me in final year to actually switch my brain on in clinic or on the ward.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I didn't look at my decile in pre-clinical years, but my grades dropped dramatically and I only scraped through third year before escaping off to my intercalated degree.

I just don't learn from standing in the corner of a patient's cubicle being talked at, and I didn't bother with any book-learning when I got home, so developed a vicious cycle of disenchantment.

If I were doing it all again I'd sign up to a question bank early (as I find that kind of learning stimulating at least!) and carry a wee notebook in my back pocket to make notes on topics that are mentioned- this helped me in final year to actually switch my brain on in clinic or on the ward.

thank you so much for your tips! Im usingPassmedicine at moment, do you recommend that over On Exam by the BMA?

thank you so much for your tips! Im usingPassmedicine at moment, do you recommend that over On Exam by the BMA?
    Lucky for you, I bought both. I found passmedicine much superior personally. More MCQs that were like what my university set, the knowledge tutor tool is great for revision and the comment section helps too. I think passmedicine is free for third years actually, but don't quote me on that.

Lucky for you, I bought both. I found passmedicine much superior personally. More MCQs that were like what my university set, the knowledge tutor tool is great for revision and the comment section helps too. I think passmedicine is free for third years actually, but don't quote me on that.
    I think which question bank will suit you really depends on which uni you go to. I used at least 3 different ones in 4th year, and the style of questions on them was very different. I think onexamination was the closest for my med school.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.