Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hope for the future! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    HOPE FOR THE FUTURE!

Hi I'm Hope and this is my GYG blog for my GCSEs that I will be sitting in Summer 2018. I'm hard working, determined to do my best and will give the GCSEs my all. I also have to work extra hard as I fell ill right before my mocks and was in hospital for a while so I didn't have a chance to revise.

What will I be doing on this blog?
    • Recording the work that I do every day.
    • Showing revision techniques and tips that work for visual learners (like me).
    • Sharing my favourite revision resources.

What do I want to get out of this?
    I'm hoping that keeping this record of my daily work and revision will help keep me motivated and encourage me (and you!) to stop procrastinating.

January Mock Results:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Edexcel Biology:A
    Edexcel Chemistry:A
    CIE Computing:B
    OCR English Language:4
    CIE English Literature:5
    AQA Geography:7
    OCR Latin:5
    AQA Maths:8
    Edexcel Physics:A
    Edexcel Spanish:B

Predicted Grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Edexcel Biology:A
    Edexcel Chemistry:A*
    CIE Computing:A
    OCR English Language:6
    CIE English Literature:7
    AQA Geography:8
    OCR Latin:6
    AQA Maths:8
    Edexcel Physics:A*
    Edexcel Spanish:A

Grades I'm determined to get::crossedf:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Edexcel Biology:A*
    Edexcel Chemistry:A*
    CIE Computing:A*
    OCR English Language:8
    CIE English Literature:9
    AQA Geography:9
    OCR Latin:8
    AQA Maths:9
    Edexcel Physics:A*
    Edexcel Spanish:A*

Future Plans:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Study biology, chemistry, maths and economics at A-level and drop economics at the end of Year 12.
    • Study medicine in uni.
    • Do at least a week of work experience in a hospital this summer.
    • Do around a week of work experience in a finance or technology company.
    • Get grade 7 singing

Revision Resources:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Revision Youtubers ( I watch Eve Bennet and UnJaded Jade religiously, perksoflaur often and Ruby Granger from time to time. perksoflaur is particularly interesting to watch for me because we're both doing our GCSEs )
    • tomatotimers.com is great to use for the Pomodoro technique to increase productivity.
    • I haven't personally used this because I deleted all my social media but I've heard a lot of positive things about an app called Forest which keeps you off your phone in the form of a game. It's quite cute app by the looks of it and it's around £1(I think).
    • Use the specification for your course and the mark scheme to practice papers to make notes. I don't mean start your notes now, but when you do practice papers make notes of the 3 topics that you made the most mistakes in by using the mark scheme and specification because if a similar question comes up again then you will know the answer.
    • This isn't really a revision resource but I use the Smiling Mind app every night to do mindfulness to make sure that I get a good sleep and refreshed for the next day. A good rest help you retain information. Plus it's free!

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 22nd February 2018:

The Gist: I skipped my careers talk at school to get home early and have a productive evening but instead procrastinated and only got the bare minimum done; now I have a lot of work to do over the weekend.

homeworkEnglish Lang: Did a paper 1 question 4 practice in 40 mins (time in exam: 25 mins).
    homeworkLatin: Completed a translation from a practice paper.

ReputationRep:
    will be watching this thread good luck with your gcses! what are you planning on studying in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    will be watching this thread good luck with your gcses! what are you planning on studying in the future?
    Hi:ciao: I'm planning on studying biology,chemistry,maths and economics at A-level and am hoping to study medicine at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Friday 23rd February 2018:

The Gist: I picked up all my catch up work from Wednesday-I was ill- and caught up on Survival of the Fittest (I recommend it if you liked Love Island).

catch upMaths: Completed an 8 page vectors booklet.
    revisionChemistry: Finished a practice paper that I started before half term; it was closed book without timed conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, but how is it that your sciences are graded on the old system? Are you resitting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mesopotamian.)
    Just curious, but how is it that your sciences are graded on the old system? Are you resitting?
    I'm not 100% sure myself but I think it's because my school is doing iGCSE and the grading for that is still A*-G.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hope2002)
    I'm not 100% sure myself but I think it's because my school is doing iGCSE and the grading for that is still A*-G.
    Oh I see! Sorry, was just curious because my sister is also sitting her GCSEs this year and all her sciences and computer science are numbers

Anyway, good luck to you, those grades are definitely achievable if you put your mind to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mesopotamian.)
    Oh I see! Sorry, was just curious because my sister is also sitting her GCSEs this year and all her sciences and computer science are numbers

Anyway, good luck to you, those grades are definitely achievable if you put your mind to it
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 24th February 2018:

The Gist: I woke up at 8am with the intention of getting a lot of work done but stayed in bed on my phone till 10am, had an extra long shower, watched 4 episodes of Survival of the Fittest and didn't get any work done. I just can't seem to stop procrastinating and I'm genuinely worried that it's going to prevent me from achieving my goals.

I read somewhere that we procrastinate due to our fear of failure, rejection and imperfection and that it's a defence mechanism so that we can tell ourselves that we're not even trying. Honestly despite knowing that perfection isn't real i can't help but try and strive to achieve it

Can anyone recommend an app to keep me off my phone?

revisionLatin: I made flash cards on the translations of 3 sections of The Aeneid.

To do: (Homework- half of which is due on Monday)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Write spanish oral presentation.
    • Make a revision guide for Macbeth scenes.
    • Revise for an equilibrium test.
    • Revise for a computing test on half the syllabus.
    • Finish a biology DNA test that was started in class.
    • Finish an english language paper started in class.
    • Catch up on geography and answer 2 6 markers and a 9 marker based off them.

ReputationRep:
    Sunday 25th February 2018: (4 hours 45 mins)

The Gist: What a surprise I watched even more Survival of the Fittest! I'm really worried that I'm not gonna know everything in time for my GCSEs because i have endless amounts of homework and i just wanna revise but I can't. I'm especially worried for english because I don't find it logical at all and am barely passing at the moment. I just really don't know how to analyse and write well structured essays.

On a more positive note I went to watch a musical with my friend today(despite my large sum of homework) and it was really good. I decided late evening after a ton of procrastinating to delete snapchat from my phone so I would go on it less and honestly it worked. I haven't got rid of snapchat completely, it's just on my iPad now so I also can't use it in school. If you have another device like an iPad or iPod then I seriously suggest deleting your most used app off your phone and transferring it there because it gives you nothing to do apart from work.

I also thought it would be a good idea to keep a time record of how long it takes me to do each task just to keep things real.

homeworkLatin: Analysed part of the Aeneid (20 mins)
    homeworkEnglish: Finished a past paper started in class (35 mins:class 30 mins:home)
    + Made notes on 6 scenes in Macbeth (3 hours 15 mins)
    homeworkSpanish:Made my spanish oral presentation (30 mins)
    homeworkBiology: Finished DNA test started in class. (10 mins)

ReputationRep:
    Monday 26th February 2018:

The Gist: Ya girl messed up. I had a long overdue eye test and discovered that my sight has gotten drastically worse and I've developed astigmatism. My parents were pissed to say the least. Not much happened today apart from I can finally see. It snowed a bit but none of it settled so I'm hoping that on Thursday there's a snow day so I can catchup with all my work and stick to the revision timetable I made today.

homeworkPhysics: Write notes on energy resources (45 mins)
    organisationTimetable: Filled in my timetable with exam dates an revision slots(2 hours)
    catch upPhysics: Answer questions on static electricity (15 mins).

ReputationRep:
    aw, sorry to hear about your eyesight what exactly is astigamatism?

ReputationRep:
    aw, sorry to hear about your eyesight what exactly is astigamatism?
    Astigmatism is when the curvature of the cornea is more oval shaped than spherical, this means that the light fails to come to single focus point on the retina to produce a clear image which results in distorted images.

The way to fix this is by wearing contact lenses which correct the shape, they're quite uncomfortable though.

Hope I helped your understanding

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 27th February 2018:

The Gist: I already wrote this part then accidentally deleted it and it was quite long so i don't remember everything it said but basically: I procrastinated again today; am deeply concerned about the GCSEs because I just finished my Physics and Chemistry syllabus and feel like I know nothing despite the fact that I have upcoming test; watched this video(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ev7GXzFTPg) which inspired me to use my phone less; my friends are being distant and I'm worried I've done something wrong; realised that I'm hitting my mental self-destruct button and am trying to figure out how to stop.

All in all a not so great day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better as I only have 3 lesson ( I have a double then double sports).

lunchEnglish Lit.:My teacher held a lunch time club for my class (bottom set:sigh:) so we reviewed one of the poems in our anthology(45 mins)
    homeworkMaths: Completed sheet on equations of parallel and perpendicular lines which in theory is easy but I managed to confuse myself (40 mins)
    catch upGeography: Made a 3D model of global atmospheric circulation and it was a waste on time really, as it turns out it was an optional tsk which no one did, I couldn't do the rest of the catch up cuz I needed a textbook which they only have in school(1 hour)
    homeworkLatin:Finished a past paper comprehension started at the end of class- got 15/20 (class:5 mins home:20 mins)

ReputationRep:
    I'll be watching you seem so productive I wish I could be as well ughhh

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 28th February 2018:

The Gist: IT SNOWWWWWEEEEDDDD:ahee::banana: I'm so happy. I got to go to school 30 mins later and leave 30 mins earlier tomorrow so I can get to school on time because of the snow. We had sports today and I was quite surprised that sports like rugby and football played in the snow cuz it was freezing...literally. I have a computing test tomorrow on the first half to the theory syllabus but because I'm still getting homework from school I haven't had time so I'm just gonna revise tomorrow morning. The snow made my day and is genuinely the highlight of my week-as long as I don't get pneumonia again. I was so scared on relapsing that for classes I wore: a thermal top; a school shirt; a school jumper; a sports jumper; leggings; tights; socks; trainers; a jacket; gloves and a scarf ( I forgot my hat at home).

Obviously I couldn't help but procrastinate when I got home, then when I finally started work I was watching tv so I was veryyyy unproductive.

homeworkComputing: Did 3/4 chapter 4 notes(1 hour)
    homeworkMaths: Did 2 practice papers closed book timed (Paper 1:1hour 30 mins Paper 2: 1 hour)

ReputationRep:
    good luck with your computing exam tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    good luck with your computing exam tomorrow
    aww Thank you! I'm gonna need it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mundosinfin)
    I'll be watching you seem so productive I wish I could be as well ughhh
    Sorry I only just saw this And I'm really not that productive,I procrastinate and then start my work around 9pm so my whole sleep cycle is off. I think we all do more than we realise anyway so don't underestimate yourself.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.