The Student Room Group

Is gap year so popular in the Uk?

As in the title, is gap year quite common in the UK?

Thanks
WiSi

Scroll to see replies

year, lots of people take one for various reasons
Reply 2
Original post by Yipyipee
year, lots of people take one for various reasons

In italy is not seen as a good thing, most of people can think you are lazy, or immature.
Otherwise UK have more people with a degree then Italy.
far too many middle class families with excess money and literally how easy it is to live on $5 a day in large parts of asia
Reply 4
Original post by hannah00
far too many middle class families with excess money and literally how easy it is to live on $5 a day in large parts of asia

Yes but it wasn't related to money, but to time.
sometimes people need a year out to help develop maturity, i they dont feel ray to go into uni just yet. For example its common with medicine as its a six year course, so people may want an extra year to themselves. Also if they dont get in the first time, they may need to reapply
Reply 6
Does high school in the Uk last only 4 years?
Reply 7
Original post by WiSi

5 years
Reply 8
Original post by Lia22
5 years

So, if I'm not wrong is different from the USA system?
Original post by WiSi
So, if I'm not wrong is different from the USA system?

The british and american schools system just uses different terms for school years/grades.

Year 10-13 in the UK would be the equivalent of grade 9-12 of the US system's 'high school.'
Reply 10
Original post by hydroxide
The british and american schools system just uses different terms for school years/grades.

Year 10-13 in the UK would be the equivalent of grade 9-12 of the US system's 'high school.'

At which age a student in the Uk end high school?
A student that didn't repeated a year.
Original post by WiSi
At which age a student in the Uk end high school?
A student that didn't repeated a year.

normally people in Year 13 are 17 turning 18 years old, or 18 turning 19.
Reply 12
Original post by hydroxide
normally people in Year 13 are 17 turning 18 years old, or 18 turning 19.

So people with a gap year start university at 20 years old?
Yeh so most people in Y13 will leave sixthform at 17/18 to then go onto university at 18/19 - if you take a gap year you would enter university at 19/20
Reply 14
Original post by Scarlettcake
Yeh so most people in Y13 will leave sixthform at 17/18 to then go onto university at 18/19 - if you take a gap year you would enter university at 19/20

Beside this, would you say that the gap year is something useful or it's just a moment to take a rest?
Totally dependant on your situation...
- I’m not taking a gap year, I have found a course which I love and I’m super excited to be going to uni.
- My boyfriend is, he has had a massive change of heart with what course to study so is going to reapply next year and get some work experience and travelling done in the mean time.
- I have friends who are taking one as they are going on 6 month volunteer programmes abroad
- If you are unsure with what you want to do at uni then take one, because there’s no point wasting 3 years on a course you don’t want to do
- If you do take one make it worthwhile and don’t spend all your time sat at home, travel, learn a language, volunteer, get a job etc
Original post by WiSi

It lasts 5 years.
Then college is 2 years. - optional

Gap year if u wanna, and uni is optional.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by WiSi
As in the title, is gap year quite common in the UK?

Thanks
WiSi

It’s popular since:
- people want to travel or volunteer abroad before starting uni
- to retake exams
- to find out what course they want to do by gaining more work experience
- to get some cash before starting uni
- lots of reasons :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Scarlettcake
Totally dependant on your situation...
- I’m not taking a gap year, I have found a course which I love and I’m super excited to be going to uni.
- My boyfriend is, he has had a massive change of heart with what course to study so is going to reapply next year and get some work experience and travelling done in the mean time.
- I have friends who are taking one as they are going on 6 month volunteer programmes abroad
- If you are unsure with what you want to do at uni then take one, because there’s no point wasting 3 years on a course you don’t want to do
- If you do take one make it worthwhile and don’t spend all your time sat at home, travel, learn a language, volunteer, get a job etc

Can i ask what did you chose ?

This volunteering program start from the public high school or is something that you have to organize on your own?

It's good to travel, learn a language, volunteer and get a job, but going in other countries requires lots of money, but probably British people have them and have the possibility to make this investment.
Reply 19
Original post by MKaur18
It’s popular since:
- people want to travel or volunteer abroad before starting uni
- to retake exams
- to find out what course they want to do by gaining more work experience
- to get some cash before starting uni
- lots of reasons :biggrin:

Which exams ?

Quick Reply

Latest