The Student Room Group

a level options!!!

does physics, maths, art and english lit sound okay??

i was wondering if they’d be too much all together, as we have to choose 4 subjects. originally i chose physics maths english and chemistry but chemistry becoming more and more unappealing :frown:(((

-will the work load be too much?
-does anyone have any good/bad experiences with them (or any similar combinations)?
-will it restrict my future options?
That's a really interesting combination - I actually haven't seen it before! You've split down the 'artsy' and 'engineering' route pretty much in half. In terms of limiting future prospects if you have what course you want to do in mind then look at uni websites and see what subjects they ask for and that should answer whether you'd be fine with these subjects or would need to change any of them to fit the course.
Though I haven't taken physics or art at a level i know that physics can be quite 50/50 with some people finding it difficult and taking some time to grasp concepts but others just finding it a breeze! (Usually the further maths students :tongue: ) Art I have also heard is very time consuming and universities are less likely to ask for it in comparison to your other subjects.

Maths at A level follows the case of practice makes perfect and past papers really are the way to the high grades. Its a brilliant subject to take as it can be applicable to many different uni courses. However, if you hate maths I really recommend you don't force yourself to take it as you'll do badly as a result. In terms of workload you may have to do loads of exam papers and workbook questions each week but with maths that all ultimately contributes to revision so its kind of a two in one.

I personally really enjoyed English Lit - it was one of my most relaxing subjects though there was a heavy workload due to the frequent essays. In year 12 the workload is pretty manageable but in year 13 when the coursework aspect comes in (if you have it on your spec) it can get a bit stressful. Its really interesting though and getting an A is very achievable.
Reply 2
Original post by Summer_99
That's a really interesting combination - I actually haven't seen it before! You've split down the 'artsy' and 'engineering' route pretty much in half. In terms of limiting future prospects if you have what course you want to do in mind then look at uni websites and see what subjects they ask for and that should answer whether you'd be fine with these subjects or would need to change any of them to fit the course.
Though I haven't taken physics or art at a level i know that physics can be quite 50/50 with some people finding it difficult and taking some time to grasp concepts but others just finding it a breeze! (Usually the further maths students :tongue: ) Art I have also heard is very time consuming and universities are less likely to ask for it in comparison to your other subjects.

Maths at A level follows the case of practice makes perfect and past papers really are the way to the high grades. Its a brilliant subject to take as it can be applicable to many different uni courses. However, if you hate maths I really recommend you don't force yourself to take it as you'll do badly as a result. In terms of workload you may have to do loads of exam papers and workbook questions each week but with maths that all ultimately contributes to revision so its kind of a two in one.

I personally really enjoyed English Lit - it was one of my most relaxing subjects though there was a heavy workload due to the frequent essays. In year 12 the workload is pretty manageable but in year 13 when the coursework aspect comes in (if you have it on your spec) it can get a bit stressful. Its really interesting though and getting an A is very achievable.

sorry this is really late but thank you so much for the advice!!! i’ll definitely check out some courses to get a gist of their requirements, also just wondering, what spec are u on for english?

thank u!!
Firstly, if you have any idea of what you'd like to do at Uni, I'd look at course requirements just to ensure that you're not limited by these choices. That being said, science subjects (including math) and English are considered 'facilitating subjects' so you should be fine as this should keep your options open.

Workload wise - should be okay. Since you have to take 4, art was probably a good choice since it's not *too* exam based as far as I'm concerned - meaning when it comes to your exams in the summer, theres no written one as such and all your art work should be done by that time, enabling you to focus on the other subjects. However, the problem with art being uni's don't take it very seriously for this reason, and tend to focus on the more academic subjects, unless you intend to go to some sort of art uni or something.

Good thing about 4 is that universities often only really take into consideration your best 3 results, although this could become an issue with art if it is one of your best grades, compared to the other subjects.

I don't have any experience with eng Lit at a-level, but from what I've heard it literally depends on the books etc that your school does as to whether you enjoy it so much. So, if your school does a significantly uninteresting book, you probably won't look forward to learning and revising it, and this withdrawal can significantly alter grades and that. That being said, at my school they seem to enjoy the books they're studying, especially the contextual parts.

Also don't do physics, but its very split with how people find it. Some get it, some don't. I would say though, doing maths does sort of compliment the physics side, and its often not recommended to take physics without maths.

I do Maths and Further maths so that's something I can help with aha. Not gonna lie, it is pretty difficult. Concepts can take time to get around (maybe because we're doing the course in one year?), so an emphasis is definitely put on practice. I quite like the math homeworks though, a good break from any essay based subjects (I do politics and geography too). No reason why anybody cannot do well with the practice. Completely different to GCSE though which a lot of people don't understand. Very proof based compared to the problem solving at GCSE, and a lot of trigonometry too and graphical stuff. None of that nice construction stuff or anything aha. Just have a look at what you're in for BEFORE you take it. Mechanics is fairly similar to what those who do physics do, so that would definitely compliment your learning in that respect.

Again with Art, very heavy on workload despite the lack of written exams. It can be time consuming to do preparation etc, similarly to GCSE I guess. But if that's your thing, and you're able to keep up with that and enjoy the art work despite also having other subjects to do work for then you should be fine.
Reply 4
Physics and Maths are hand in glove - absolutely right to do Maths if you are doing Physics

If you are going down STEM subjects route then another Science or Further Maths would be better addition and give you more options at University level?

You need three good results if going onto University, so you should do what you enjoy, for sure.

can't help feeling Art might be a total waste of your time as it won't help you at University time? English Language A level which I think involves 20% course work might be easier for you than English Lit if you want to lessen exam revision load and probably carry the same sort of level of importance with Universities ?
Original post by anakarinas
sorry this is really late but thank you so much for the advice!!! i’ll definitely check out some courses to get a gist of their requirements, also just wondering, what spec are u on for english?

thank u!!

No worries, I'm glad I could be of some use!

I did AQA English A and I found it quite interesting. We did Shakespeare's tragedies at AS (othello), The Great Gatsby (super easy to analyse and a short read. Also brilliant book and film!!) and a love poetry anthology.

At A2 we did a lot of WW1 literature (plays, novels, poetry) as well as go revise the AS topics for the exam.
Reply 6
Original post by LsDad
Physics and Maths are hand in glove - absolutely right to do Maths if you are doing Physics

If you are going down STEM subjects route then another Science or Further Maths would be better addition and give you more options at University level?

You need three good results if going onto University, so you should do what you enjoy, for sure.

can't help feeling Art might be a total waste of your time as it won't help you at University time? English Language A level which I think involves 20% course work might be easier for you than English Lit if you want to lessen exam revision load and probably carry the same sort of level of importance with Universities ?

i’m definitely thinking of taking further maths alongside normal maths!

as for art, i know it won’t be as valued in the uni application process but idk i really enjoy it, and even tho chemistry is more useful i don’t really enjoy it That much right now because of my teacher and idk if i want to risk studying a subject ill absolutely hate for the next two years. (I’d say i’m equally as good at art as i am at chemistry)

also, for my english subjects, i’m definitely set on either literature or lit/lang, Definitely not language on its own as i absolutely hate it right now, but i really appreciate the suggestion!!
Reply 7
Original post by beckyyfoster
Firstly, if you have any idea of what you'd like to do at Uni, I'd look at course requirements just to ensure that you're not limited by these choices. That being said, science subjects (including math) and English are considered 'facilitating subjects' so you should be fine as this should keep your options open.

Workload wise - should be okay. Since you have to take 4, art was probably a good choice since it's not *too* exam based as far as I'm concerned - meaning when it comes to your exams in the summer, theres no written one as such and all your art work should be done by that time, enabling you to focus on the other subjects. However, the problem with art being uni's don't take it very seriously for this reason, and tend to focus on the more academic subjects, unless you intend to go to some sort of art uni or something.

Good thing about 4 is that universities often only really take into consideration your best 3 results, although this could become an issue with art if it is one of your best grades, compared to the other subjects.

I don't have any experience with eng Lit at a-level, but from what I've heard it literally depends on the books etc that your school does as to whether you enjoy it so much. So, if your school does a significantly uninteresting book, you probably won't look forward to learning and revising it, and this withdrawal can significantly alter grades and that. That being said, at my school they seem to enjoy the books they're studying, especially the contextual parts.

Also don't do physics, but its very split with how people find it. Some get it, some don't. I would say though, doing maths does sort of compliment the physics side, and its often not recommended to take physics without maths.

I do Maths and Further maths so that's something I can help with aha. Not gonna lie, it is pretty difficult. Concepts can take time to get around (maybe because we're doing the course in one year?), so an emphasis is definitely put on practice. I quite like the math homeworks though, a good break from any essay based subjects (I do politics and geography too). No reason why anybody cannot do well with the practice. Completely different to GCSE though which a lot of people don't understand. Very proof based compared to the problem solving at GCSE, and a lot of trigonometry too and graphical stuff. None of that nice construction stuff or anything aha. Just have a look at what you're in for BEFORE you take it. Mechanics is fairly similar to what those who do physics do, so that would definitely compliment your learning in that respect.

Again with Art, very heavy on workload despite the lack of written exams. It can be time consuming to do preparation etc, similarly to GCSE I guess. But if that's your thing, and you're able to keep up with that and enjoy the art work despite also having other subjects to do work for then you should be fine.

this has been really useful thank you!!! :smile:)))

Quick Reply

Latest