Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cost of an A Level watch

Hi guys

So I'm 20 soon and about to finish my extended BTEC in ICT at hopefully a DDD level. While I know this would be enough to apply for most Universities - I really want to push myself and try and get into a top 25 Uni within the UK. I know with a BTEC alone, it's not likely so I'm looking to study one or two A-Levels to maximise my chances. I've done A Levels before and feel I could have done fairly well in them but unfortunately i had severe anxiety and just did not like the school I was in.

With the added incentive of having to actually pay I think I'd really try and get the best grade possible. The problem is I don't know how much costs as a mature student, having already studied a level 3 qualification. Has anybody gone this route of paying for A Levels (I'm aware of having to pay an entry fee for an exam) and could give a rough estimate of how much it would cost for a full course

Side note: A few people have suggested to me to try and apply for a foundation degree at a good University - but I haven't researched this and don't know if I'd get in with my current qualification which is why I'm trying the A Level route.

Why? You can get into some good universities (definitely some top 25) with a BTEC DDD. I agree with the others to apply for a foundation degree because quite frankly it's a waste of time unless you want to apply for elite universities.

the only issue with studying an A Level is that it will take another 2 years, do you really want to wait that long? you could easily do a foundation year with your predicted grades for you BTEC, heck you could probably get into quite a few degrees. I'd suggest researching which unis you would be interested in applying to and look at their entry requirements and maybe message them to see if a BTEC is enough. AFAIK an extended BTEC is the equivalent of 3 A Levels

im a private candidate/mature student.

I'm second year a level maths and I've spent about £800. This included books, fees exam costs etc
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.