Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just turned 18 in December. I still go to college and I'm going to finish soon and then get into an apprenticeship. The average I can get around £560 a month i think. I've been wanting to get away from my house because i have my own situations going on there and i cannot wait to move out. I just need some help whether i should go into council housing or get an apartment. Obviously, not shared because i don't want a room mate and i don't mind saving up for a while before i get somewhere. Now i have no money whatsoever, so I'm not in the biggest rush. And how much should i have saved before i get out?

Thanks guys!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by _.mx.zx._)
    I just turned 18 in December. I still go to college and I'm going to finish soon and then get into an apprenticeship. The average I can get around £560 a month i think. I've been wanting to get away from my house because i have my own situations going on there and i cannot wait to move out. I just need some help whether i should go into council housing or get an apartment. Obviously, not shared because i don't want a room mate and i don't mind saving up for a while before i get somewhere. Now i have no money whatsoever, so I'm not in the biggest rush. And how much should i have saved before i get out?

Thanks guys!
    You're not going to be a high priority for council housing, which means you're unlikely to get a council house. You can still apply, but it might be many years before you get offered anything. So if you're sure you want to move out, you're better off saving up and arranging a private tenancy.

How much you need to save depends on where you want to live. Houses in London and the south are more expensive. As a general guide, you'll need to pay a deposit of one month's rent and then one month's rent upfront - so if you're looking at a property costing £500 per month, you'll need £500 for a deposit and a further £500 for advanced rent, so £1000 in total.
    But then you'll also need to buy furniture as not many places come furnished (and those that do are more expensive). You can buy cheaply or second hand and don't need to buy everything straight away.
    If you're going to want wifi, you'll probably be charged around £50 upfront as an installation fee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You're not going to be a high priority for council housing, which means you're unlikely to get a council house. You can still apply, but it might be many years before you get offered anything. So if you're sure you want to move out, you're better off saving up and arranging a private tenancy.

How much you need to save depends on where you want to live. Houses in London and the south are more expensive. As a general guide, you'll need to pay a deposit of one month's rent and then one month's rent upfront - so if you're looking at a property costing £500 per month, you'll need £500 for a deposit and a further £500 for advanced rent, so £1000 in total.
    But then you'll also need to buy furniture as not many places come furnished (and those that do are more expensive). You can buy cheaply or second hand and don't need to buy everything straight away.
    If you're going to want wifi, you'll probably be charged around £50 upfront as an installation fee.

How do i apply for private tenancy and do you know how long it takes?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by _.mx.zx._)
    How do i apply for private tenancy and do you know how long it takes?
    You go on a website like Zoopla or RightMove and look for renting options. Then you find somewhere you like the look of and phone the estate agent to arrange a visit (the details are all on the advert you've seen). Then if you still like it, you speak to the agent about what the next steps are. You'll most likely have to fill in a form with your details, and provide proof of ID. You'll also have to pay the deposit.

Once you've found a property, it will take a few weeks for all the checks to go through. It can take a few weeks to find somewhere as well, depending on where you're looking and what your requirements are. So a good estimate is probably around 2 months in total.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    How are you going to afford to live? You probably won't get benefits. And if you did, you'd only get enough for a room in a shared house.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.