Turn on thread page Beta

My parents aren't letting me do anything...
    from about 13 i've wanted too get different piercings and color my hair (if it were up to me i'd dye it bright pink).
    I'm sixteen now and the most my parents have let me do is get my seconds pierced and dye my hair from black to a sort of caramel brown (in direct light).
    It's really annoying me because i'm 16 now and they aren't letting me do anything because of their religion (Christianity) and because they are strict Indians.
    I just don't see it as fair because i'm not a bad kid by any means and they don't let me do what i want with my hair color and piercings and it's just going to make me fully rebel as soon as i get to uni... the only reason i won't go behind their back is because my dads the type to fully treat me like **** or even take it out himself..
    Idk what to do because it's really irritated me and i'm the type who gets really annoyed when i don't get what i want especially when i see people my own age being able to do what they like and their parents being full supporters of it..
    All this because of culture and religion...

ReputationRep:
    Hair colour and piercings isn’t the biggest deal in the world- I too am 16 and used to think my parents are really strict but I’ve gotten to the point with them that they think I’m mature enough not to be stupid. Maybe try having a sit down talk or something? And I mean you could always do the whole ‘wait until uni then go crazy’ thing- but don’t go too crazy.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    As a parent, I'd say my house, my rules.
    but I was 16 once. I wanted my nose done at 13, my mum said I could when I was 16, same with during my hair. I didn't rebel, I had my nose done at 18, first permanently dyed my hair at 17. it just didn't feel important after exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My parents aren't letting me do anything...
    from about 13 i've wanted too get different piercings and color my hair (if it were up to me i'd dye it bright pink).
    I'm sixteen now and the most my parents have let me do is get my seconds pierced and dye my hair from black to a sort of caramel brown (in direct light).
    It's really annoying me because i'm 16 now and they aren't letting me do anything because of their religion (Christianity) and because they are strict Indians.
    I just don't see it as fair because i'm not a bad kid by any means and they don't let me do what i want with my hair color and piercings and it's just going to make me fully rebel as soon as i get to uni... the only reason i won't go behind their back is because my dads the type to fully treat me like **** or even take it out himself..
    Idk what to do because it's really irritated me and i'm the type who gets really annoyed when i don't get what i want especially when i see people my own age being able to do what they like and their parents being full supporters of it..
    All this because of culture and religion...
    My son - I am guessing at the same age ( I have tried to blot it out!) actually did dye his hair - bleached, black, red - you name it. He got piercings too - those ghastly flesh tunnels.

As a result he kind of fell into the wrong crowd and did not work as hard as he should have done ( he has told me this ) because he just looked like a rebel. The flesh tunnels - well we had to get plastic surgery to get rid of them. He also regrets some of his tattoos .

You have your whole life to be rebellious - your age it is important just to work hard and get a decent career on the way.

Oh and I dyed my hair pink at the age of 21 and got sent home. I also pierced my nose and got sent home. ( This was back in the 1980s!)

Now at the grand old age of....... I again have a pierced nose, and Doc Martins ( bear in mind I have a son who is nearly 30) Never too late to rebel

ReputationRep:
    You have two more years to get through before you are at Uni and can do whatever you want.

As a parent myself, my advice to you is to enjoy the time you have left with your family and try to focus on something else, put the idea of bright hair and piercings away, because this short time you have left will be gone all too soon. We rush so fast to grow up and do our own thing - which is necessary and normal, but then later on as you get older you end up looking back on those times and wondering why an earth you stressed over things that seemed so small, and what you'd give to be able to wind the clock back and spend that time with family appreciating the little things.

Just not worth it over pink hair and piercings. I don't think it's unreasonable for your parents to deny this.

But i know from where you are viewing this you won't agree with me, and like everything we can't immediately have - it ends up becoming an obsession.

If this is not just about hair but about the wider issue of not having enough freedom, it might be an idea to sit down with your parents and have a serious chat about any ways that they can help you to feel that you have more freedom and that it's making you unhappy, - you might all be able to come up with some suggestions that will make life in general a bit easier for everyone. If this doesn't succeed now, go over it again in 6 months with them, the closer you get to leaving and going to Uni the more concerned they will be that you are capable of living alone and more likely they'll want to help with that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's called being a parent. They aren't your friends who will encourage you to get what you want. They are protecting you and looking out for you. You say you get upset when you don't get your way - that's life. You'll never get your way every single time so learn to deal with it. You are still a child, your parents are responsible for you. Be grateful you have parents that actually care about you.

You've totally exaggerated as well - judging by your post your parents only won't let you get piercings and dye your hair, that's hardly not letting you do anything is it?

Wait until you're 18 - when you are, you can do what you want because you're an adult and your parents can't stop you. But seriously it's not the end of the world not being allowed to do those 2 tiny things.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.