Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So... my course just got discontinued watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just got an email from Aberystwyth University telling me that they have decided to discontinue the course they that offered me a place on, and left me with three options;
    -I take a place on a similar course there
    -I take a place on an entirely different course there
    -I apply to another course at another uni
    Now considering everything, I don't really think I trust this University anymore- so I want to apply for another course somewhere else, but how tf do I do that?? It doesn't say anything about the course being discontinued on track-- pls help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by greycorns)
    I just got an email from Aberystwyth University telling me that they have decided to discontinue the course they that offered me a place on, and left me with three options;
    Now considering everything, I don't really think I trust this University anymore- so I want to apply for another course somewhere else, but how tf do I do that?? It doesn't say anything about the course being discontinued on track-- pls help
    Have you applied anywhere else you'd like to go? If not and you've had all your decisions reject all offers and go through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe consider this as an opportunity too. Perhaps you could get into a better course with higher requirements?

ReputationRep:
    It's sad, but it happens. Universities can discontinue any course for a new cohort for a multitude of reasons. It's not necessarily a reason to distrust the university itself, but if you will feel resentful towards them if you go there, then maybe it's best if you go elsewhere.

Do you have any other offers from other unis?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You need to ring or email the admissions team saying you want to substitute another university for the cancelled course. Say which university and course you want to change it to. Aber should speak to ucas and the university concerned to arrange the swap to show on Track.

ReputationRep:
    Ring ucas and ask them to substitute your choice for which ever one you want to change it for.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MKaur18)
    Ring ucas and ask them to substitute your choice for which ever one you want to change it for.
    Ucas cannot do that without getting notification from aber.

Op needs to ring Aber and they need to sort out the swap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Ucas cannot do that without getting notification from aber.

Op needs to ring Aber and they need to sort out the swap.
    Yeah, once they've ringed Aber and OP has explained they want to substitute then UCAS can change it once Aber have notified UCAS.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MKaur18)
    Yeah, once they've ringed Aber and OP has explained they want to substitute then UCAS can change it once Aber have notified UCAS.
    OP will not need to contact UCAS at all. Aber will make the arrangements on their behalf. The whole point is that Aber have messed up and so need to put in the work to put things right - that means they sort things out with UCAS AND the university OP wants to swap to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    OP will not need to contact UCAS at all. Aber will make the arrangements on their behalf. The whole point is that Aber have messed up and so need to put in the work to put things right - that means they sort things out with UCAS AND the university OP wants to swap to.
    Thank you v much for clarification!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.