Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i want to live in halls but im scared will this be hard on me as both someone who has social anxiety/is shy and is a lesbian? i have a partner already so my concern isnt romance. im just scared i wont fit in or make any friends or i might get judged a lot. i know i can join the lgbt society to meet people and ill have my classmates too but i would still feel like **** if the people i lived with didnt like me.. any advice ??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ryoasuka)
    i want to live in halls but im scared will this be hard on me as both someone who has social anxiety/is shy and is a lesbian? i have a partner already so my concern isnt romance. im just scared i wont fit in or make any friends or i might get judged a lot. i know i can join the lgbt society to meet people and ill have my classmates too but i would still feel like **** if the people i lived with didnt like me.. any advice ??
    Quite unlikely to be disliked just because you're lesbian.

What's behind your concerns?

ReputationRep:
    Youll make friend dw xx just try your best to talk to new people
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’m going portsmouth to and shy, but I am just hoping that the people I live with will be in the same situation (know absolutely nobody) and will want to make friends as soon as possible and they will probably like you

ReputationRep:
    judged? for being gay? have you been living under a rock or something, most uni students are the most liberal people on the planet! chances are you will fit in perfectly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goggleyed)
    judged? for being gay? have you been living under a rock or something, most uni students are the most liberal people on the planet! chances are you will fit in perfectly!
    sadly i was made fun of for it a lot at school so its just something i worry about naturally i guess . i hope youre right and that people will have matured in the few years between then and now aha

ReputationRep:
    . .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    uni is a great chance to make a fresh start. put all the schooldays misery behind you and seize the opportunities which present themselves.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to the anxiety - both myself and my younger sister suffered from anxiety before we started uni (mine was social, hers was more like GAD) but it was honestly the best thing that either of us could have done. Often the best way to treat anxiety is by going into the situations where it'll be triggered because then you're forced to deal with it and over time these situations will become less and less scary as you'll know you can handle them. My sister in particular has really blossomed at uni, she's so confident now and it's lovely to see. Always remember that 95% of people going to uni will be in the same situation as you, moving away from home and having to live with strangers, everyone is nervous and worried about making friends but you can get through it.

ReputationRep:
    Unis are sooo pro gay my dude.

ReputationRep:
    Universities typically have LGBT+ societies and all sorts regarding race, sexuality, etc which you join and make friends

ReputationRep:
    There have been plenty of lesbians in any university setting I've been in tbh. Also people are generally non-judgemental and open. Being in halls is a great way to meet people - I don't think you'll experience any problems!

ReputationRep:
    I have anxiety problems and I'm queer + trans - I'm really worried about people being judgemental at uni but when I was at interview everyone was really nice. Talking to people is really helpful because they're all in the same boat with wanting to make friends just try not to be a complete recluse and you'll probably be just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly university is the place where you'll be accepted as an LGBT.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.