Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Work experience during gap year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I’m currently in year 12 and I’ve just chosen my a levels ( maths, biology, chemistry and Spanish) and I’m really wanting to do veterinary medicine but the one thing that I worry about is how little experience I have at the moment. So I’m trying to get into vet clinics like the pdsa but they’re currently not looking anyone at the moment, so if by the time I am applying for university and I still don’t have the required experience, would it be a good idea if I took a gap year and I was thinking of doing work experience abroad? Does this sound doable or should I do something else?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I mean do-able will depend on your finances and personal interest, so sure.

How much benefit it will actually add to your application however is questionable. Expensive trips to exotic locations are generally just overpriced holidays that provide little insight into vet work that you'll most likely be doing on a daily basis once you graduate. Admissions tutors know this also. Spending time on farms, vet practices in the UK, rescue shelters etc etc are probably of more value

ReputationRep:
    Go on the RCVS find a vet website, find practice within your local area and go visit them in person asking to do work experience, specifically if possible speak to a practice manager as they are the ones capable of making placements happen. If you have been asking them for work or they believe you are a vet student wanting to do a clinical placement it is more likely they will be busy, it is rather unusual for a practice to say they are not currently looking for anyone to do pre university work experience so this may be a case of miscommunication.

Also take into account that husbandry experience is actually more important than veterinary practice experience when applying. Sure some time in a vet practice is necessary but the husbandry environments should make up more of your application.

It is becoming a little late to arrange now but a lambing placement is arguably essential, sure some people get in without but far more do not than do. Contact local farmers or arrange to travel and sort accommodation as this is a vital placement for applying this October and you are drawing close to the end of lambing season for this year

ReputationRep:
    I did a gap year and did loads of internships and work experience I build a really good CV and got into a better uni. I also did internships abroad in New York and Toronto during the uni summer holidays. I got good experience but was like the person says above a glorified holiday really to make travelling more worthwhile. In terms of grad schemes applications I’ve gotten nowhere

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your feedback. I’ve also just got the opportunity to go to an event in the zoo where there will be vets there, so hopefully when I ask them about work experience they’ll tell me more about where they went for it and where I can go get some experience.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.