Turn on thread page Beta

For a while now, maybe the last year or so, I've been getting anxious a lot, even about the most ridiculous things. I worry and think over and over about a certain thing. It's progressively worse to the point where I get so anxious that I actually feel a weird sensation in my stomach and I imagine "pain" that isn't there. I'm sure I had my first panic attack a few weeks ago where I found it hard and painful to breathe for a while. I know there is mental health issues in my family but they never talk about it so I feel I can't bring it up. Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with anxiety or ways to deal with it ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Try this link:

https://www.anxiety.org.uk
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Go see a counselor or [preferably] a psychologist. CBT is great for anxiety and having someone you can talk to on a regular basis who isn't going to judge you can be really helpful. You could see your GP to ask for a referral - although some IAPT services (improving access to psychological therapy) allow people in the area to self-refer. The GP might be able to prescribe you medication if he thinks/you agree it's necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you feel anxious just sit back from whatever you are doing and focus completely on your breathing. Keep doing this until you feel relaxed. On a night write down everything that makes you anxious then practise breathing again. Make a stress journal so whenever you’re stressed, write in this and when you feel happy look back in this book and give yourself advice. Sounds silly, but I think it is very effective.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.