Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Need some advice I have been offered a place on a adult nursing course and I was wondering when you work at the hospitals how are the timetables like? Isit mandatory that you work nights whilst training?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Star_26)
    Need some advice I have been offered a place on a adult nursing course and I was wondering when you work at the hospitals how are the timetables like? Isit mandatory that you work nights whilst training?
    It depends on the university. Some universities do separate periods of time at university having lecturers etc and then separate periods of time on placement working shifts like a full time job.
    Either way, as students we are expected to work long days, early shifts, late shifts, nights and weekends. What shifts you do will depend on the placement.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou do you get to choose your placement and are you expected to work weekends what about if you have small children?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thankyou do you get to choose your placement and are you expected to work weekends what about if you have small children?
    At my university (and I assume others too) they pick the placement as there’s so many students they can’t meet everyone’s preference so it’s easier just to allocate students to a ward, department, GP surgery etc. At my university we have what’s called an elective placement in year 2 but we organise that ourselves and therefore can pick where we go (if they will take us). But this is only on that one occasion.
    You are expected to work weekends too, even if you have children. Some placements may let students request (within reason) days or times but there is no guarantee that placements will be able to accommodate students. Any time you miss due to absence from placement has to be made up too, for example if you have 2 days off for sickness you need to make up those 2 days at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much very informative

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.