The Student Room Group

National percentage of AAA grades at A-level?

hi

i was just wondering what the average national percentage was of students who achieved 3 A grades at A-level last year? and overall in general over the years?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nmanik90
hi

i was just wondering what the average national percentage was of students who achieved 3 A grades at A-level last year? and overall in general over the years?

I think at least 25% received at least 1 A. Not sure about AAA
Reply 2
And he reminded people that less than a tenth of candidates achieved three A grades, representing just 3% of 18-year-olds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6949084.stm
Reply 3
yeah 1 in every 4 was it? :biggrin:
Reply 4
soon with the A* it's gonna be A*A*A*...
Reply 5
xinolisss
yeah 1 in every 4 was it? :biggrin:

No, one in every 10. 1 in every 4 is for at least 1 A.
Reply 6
oh yeah that was my mistake
Reply 7
Also this in 1 in 10 of people that do A levels and most 16-18 year olds don't do A levels. I am not sure what the exact figures is but NVQs, jobs, traineeships make up a larger percentage.
Reply 8
Aren’t a lot of these A grades coming from poorer A levels. Not the more academic ones.
pauly_s
Aren’t a lot of these A grades coming from poorer A levels. Not the more academic ones.

Good point your prob right. Achieving AAA in bio chem and phy is FAR different than achieving AAA in media studies, drama, and IT for example
Yeah, getting in A in ICT is actually harder than in any other subject! According to the AQA site anyway...
Oh, and I'm not sure many Biology, Physics and Chemistry students could achieve an A in Drama...
I'll give you Media Studies though! :biggrin:
Reply 13
1 in 10 :O omg thts wack!
1 in every 4 is for each PAPER/MODULE. Not each A level.
0.00009%.
Reply 16
Drama is actually a very hard A-level. If you want to pick on easy A levels...then just stick to GS and Media Studies ;-)
iceman_jondoe
Good point your prob right. Achieving AAA in bio chem and phy is FAR different than achieving AAA in media studies, drama, and IT for example

True, although how many students do you know who have the ability to get straight As, and yet they take media studies, dance, photography (etc)?

To be honest I've heard of more people getting As in the sciences than the more vocational A-levels I've listed above? :smile:

Edit: It appears that my post has been a bit confusing. Just to clarify: I mean that whilst gaining AAA in vocational subjects would be easier than gaining AAA in sciences, it's probably more common for the higher students (capable of getting straight As) to take sciences.
Reply 18
tristanperry
True, although how many students do you know who have the ability to get straight As, and yet they take media studies, dance, photography (etc)?

To be honest I've heard of more people getting As in the sciences than the more vocational A-levels I've listed above? :smile:

Very good point buddy.
Tristanperry: exactly! I think more drama students could achieve an A in Physics than Physics students could get studying Drama. Physics is do-able if you are prepared to work hard and you aren't a moron, whereas Drama requires a lot more natural ability. Same with any other 'performance-based' A level, e.g. Music.

Quick Reply

Latest