The Student Room Group

National percentage of AAA grades at A-level?

Scroll to see replies

JayG99
Drama is actually a very hard A-level

LMAO!
Erzan
Some people are good at science/moths and others at the Arts/Humanities. Each has their smart students and not so smart students, and i think it is really snobby to try and claim the Arts as less worthy.

How many straight A level math’s student’s do you know could go into a drama lesson and score an A or complete an essay and get an A?

At my college, the majority of the A level math’s students don't do essay based subjects for a reason and it’s not because they see it as too easy.

I'm sorry, but I had to point that out, because it made me giggle. :smile: I love typos!

As for the silly people who are saying a drama/media student couldn't do a science A-level - go and have a look on the "weird combinations" thread in the Oxford forum. Plenty of us manage both science and arts subjects. Admittedly my science subject is Biology, not Physics or Chemistry - but loads of my friends took one of the "harder" sciences alongside arts subjects. Most notable was probably our head girl, who took Drama, Physics, Chemistry and History.

It can be done - it's absolute nonsense to suggest that arts students can only do arts subjects, and visa versa.
Reply 42
Well yeah there are obviously going to be exceptions...and no one suggested that arts students can only do arts. Arts are as hard as sciences, English Lit/History/RS are are hard as Biology/Chemistry/Physics etc. If a clever person decided at the end of GCSE that they wanted some variety, they could probably manage doing bits of both.

What I said was that the average (anyone with a concept of statistics realises that there will be exceptions) student doing Drama/Media Studies could not manage at that same end-of-gcse point to do Further Maths. I don't think the reverse can be said for someone doing Further Maths, if they had decided to do a subject like Media Studies, they would have probably managed to do it, because they're intelligent.
Reply 43
m.maow
oh dear.. what happened to individuality? and what happened to "you do the a levels that get you into the job you want" ???

i do music because i want to be a composer, a drama student does drama because they want to be an actor, a physics student does physics because they want to be a ..physicist. and people also do subjects because they enjoy them, and they aren't related to the job they want.

so.. yeah. :confused:

I think the subject of this hot topic is the so called ''intelligence'' of arts and science students. Someone was trying to impose an image that an arts student will be likely to well in a science subject, what's worse is she/he actually said physics(which is supposed to be the hardest of all the sciences). I hate physics(to be frank), but i think it deserves the reputation.

P/s: i'm doing physics, but i want to read medicine at a University, far from a physicist..(Therefore, i need that A) Don't get me wrong, i never think an arts student isn't smart, in fact they are just the same as science students.
Reply 44
In my mind there are 2 types of AAA at A-level student...

Type 1 is capable of AAA in subjects that require a similar sort of brain...someone who can get AAA in bio. chem, and physics for example but is useless at history or English or Drama and subjects that require a different type of thought...

Type 2 is capable of gaining an A in whatever subject they put their mind to...

There was a student last year who was better at maths than most of the teachers, he was a maths genius...but he wasn't much good at english...

On the whole type 2 students will choose the more "traditional" subjects...however a student that get's AAA in bio, chem and physics may still be capable of getting A's in arts subjects but may want to be a doctor or something...Yes this does work both ways...A student who get's AAA in English History and Law may still be capable of AAA in science subjects...One thing that I think is quite indisputable though is that it is more likely that a student who is heading for AAA in science subjects or traditional subjects such as history etc. is more likely to fall into type 2 than a student heading for AAA in I.T sociology and drama...Note that I am not saying the 2 are mutually exclusive (type 2 and the less traditionally subject choices) just much less likely...
Original post by pauly_s
Aren’t a lot of these A grades coming from poorer A levels. Not the more academic ones.

If you look at the statistics, the 'poorer' A-Levels have much lower percentages of A grades
Original post by Vazzyb
Well yeah there are obviously going to be exceptions...and no one suggested that arts students can only do arts. Arts are as hard as sciences, English Lit/History/RS are are hard as Biology/Chemistry/Physics etc. If a clever person decided at the end of GCSE that they wanted some variety, they could probably manage doing bits of both.

What I said was that the average (anyone with a concept of statistics realises that there will be exceptions) student doing Drama/Media Studies could not manage at that same end-of-gcse point to do Further Maths. I don't think the reverse can be said for someone doing Further Maths, if they had decided to do a subject like Media Studies, they would have probably managed to do it, because they're intelligent.

represents

Quick Reply

Latest