Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've recently made the decision to self study 3 A Levels. My current living situation has made it impossible for me to study via an online distance learning institution or to attend college. Having said that I am determined not to waste the next two years of my life by letting that hold me back so instead I'll be self teaching my A Levels and applying to take my A Level exams as a private candidate.

Can anyone recommend any websites for this? How do I get started? What books to do I need to study? Where can I find the syllabus? Anyone have any experience with this or can help me find the information on how I should split my time between the 3?

As I am a private candidate I can only do subjects that do not include any practical work or any coursework that would require a teacher to mark. I'm leaning towards 3 of the following - Maths, Psychology, sociology or law. I do not yet know what degree I want to do after which is why I've decided to do A Levels instead of an access to HE course.

Any advice or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Rebecca

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca787)
    Hi everyone,

I've recently made the decision to self study 3 A Levels. My current living situation has made it impossible for me to study via an online distance learning institution or to attend college. Having said that I am determined not to waste the next two years of my life by letting that hold me back so instead I'll be self teaching my A Levels and applying to take my A Level exams as a private candidate.

Can anyone recommend any websites for this? How do I get started? What books to do I need to study? Where can I find the syllabus? Anyone have any experience with this or can help me find the information on how I should split my time between the 3?

As I am a private candidate I can only do subjects that do not include any practical work or any coursework that would require a teacher to mark. I'm leaning towards 3 of the following - Maths, Psychology, sociology or law. I do not yet know what degree I want to do after which is why I've decided to do A Levels instead of an access to HE course.

Kind regards,
    Rebecca
    The best website to find the syllabus for all three subjects especially maths is the official cie website and if u are stuck at any point in maths got to 'physicsandmathstutor.com'; it has answers to all the questions of every book for Edexcel, Cambridge, AQA, OCR, etc. I don't really take socilogy and law so I dont really know any websites abt them. Oh and more thing if u are thinking of taking Modular Mechanics 1 and u ae stuck then go to khan academy for help; it also helped me understnading aa few things cuz even tho its has a bit of physics in it but i still get stuck sometimes.
    Hope it helped

ReputationRep:
    im a private candidate. Im second year a level maths.

My suggestion to you would be to approach your local colleges to find one that will take you.
    then ask the exam officer which board they use and if they can offer you those subjects.

it is an expensive process. I paid £121 in fees just to be able to sit my exams there and then this year each exam has cost me £18.

for maths I used cgp books, and on YouTube I used hegarty maths, jack brown, exam solutions and Khan academy.
    Jack brown has the whole course as a class.

I hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    have you considered open university?
    if you're thinking of a degree after a levels, you could skip the a levels and start a degree without them.

I'm enrolling onto maths and statistics for October start, and there is no need for a level to start it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Kind regards,
    Rebecca
    Hello! I’m currently a Year 13 student who’s registered at a sixth form, but is 80% self studying due to illness.

Without a doubt, I’d recommend psychology. For the very simple reason that the textbooks and website resources for AQA specifically are brilliant. If you get the AQA textbooks and exam companions, those and past papers are essentially all you’d need.

I can’t speak for Law or Sociology as I don’t take them, but I took maths last year and struggled to self teach as there wasn’t a lot of online videos catered to my exam board. But as someone said above, there is some websites to help.

Sociology I believe is similar to Psychology. Have you considered history? I take OCR History and have found the textbooks (Specifically, Russia, Tudor, Witchcraze) Very useful for exam prep.

English Lit is the other one I take, with the help of one on ones with a teacher. It hugely depends on the person. But I hope you find which 3 A-Levels you’d like to take and they work for you! 😊

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for this! Really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthieG101)
    im a private candidate. Im second year a level maths.

My suggestion to you would be to approach your local colleges to find one that will take you.
    then ask the exam officer which board they use and if they can offer you those subjects.

it is an expensive process. I paid £121 in fees just to be able to sit my exams there and then this year each exam has cost me £18.

for maths I used cgp books, and on YouTube I used hegarty maths, jack brown, exam solutions and Khan academy.
    Jack brown has the whole course as a class.

I hope this helps
    Hi, thanks a lot for your reply. I'm unable to go into college as I am not currently in the UK, I'm in Malaysia as my husband has a work assignment here (I'm a mature student going back to my studies). The exams alone from here will cost me probably close to £800. I have considered doing it via an online distance institution but I can afford the extra £1000 that will cost me.

ReputationRep:
    have you considered open university?
    if you're thinking of a degree after a levels, you could skip the a levels and start a degree without them.

I'm enrolling onto maths and statistics for October start, and there is no need for a level to start it.
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. The open university was my first port of call but I just will never be able to afford to study the degree with them right now.I'm not entirely sure what degree I want to study but having looked at the prices, most are over £10,000!!I'm currently in Malaysia whilst my husband is on assignment so I can't work here to fund my studies (visa restraints).

I feel like I exhausted all routes and am only left with self study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Hello! I’m currently a Year 13 student who’s registered at a sixth form, but is 80% self studying due to illness.

Without a doubt, I’d recommend psychology. For the very simple reason that the textbooks and website resources for AQA specifically are brilliant. If you get the AQA textbooks and exam companions, those and past papers are essentially all you’d need.

I can’t speak for Law or Sociology as I don’t take them, but I took maths last year and struggled to self teach as there wasn’t a lot of online videos catered to my exam board. But as someone said above, there is some websites to help.

Sociology I believe is similar to Psychology. Have you considered history? I take OCR History and have found the textbooks (Specifically, Russia, Tudor, Witchcraze) Very useful for exam prep.

English Lit is the other one I take, with the help of one on ones with a teacher. It hugely depends on the person. But I hope you find which 3 A-Levels you’d like to take and they work for you! 😊

Hi,
    Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can't do AQA, only Edexcel or CIE due to no AQA exams centres outside of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can't do AQA, only Edexcel or CIE due to no AQA exams centres outside of the UK.
    Ahh, okay. Well, psychology AQA and Edexcel only vary on a few units, so either way I’d still recommend psychology on the basis of lots of useful sites! (Simplepsychology being the most useful)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Ahh, okay. Well, psychology AQA and Edexcel only vary on a few units, so either way I’d still recommend psychology on the basis of lots of useful sites! (Simplepsychology being the most useful)
    Hiya,
    Yes, without a doubt psychology will be one of the 3. It looks super interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Do you not qualify for any sort of student finance for the OU?

Personally I studied maths, physics, chemistry and economics at A Level. I would recommend maths and econ for self study.

EdExcel maths text books are really useful; have good examples and lots of questions and answers. There are also lots of resources online for past papers.

I will now point out that I studied the old ALevels not the new syllabus so information may not be 100% accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeaScape)
    Do you not qualify for any sort of student finance for the OU?

Personally I studied maths, physics, chemistry and economics at A Level. I would recommend maths and econ for self study.

EdExcel maths text books are really useful; have good examples and lots of questions and answers. There are also lots of resources online for past papers.

I will now point out that I studied the old ALevels not the new syllabus so information may not be 100% accurate.
    Unfortunately not. They don't offer any funding to anyone who is studying outside to UK, not even to British citizens who will be moving back during their studies. Many thanks for the info. It's been a while since I studied and I just can't believe that for an adult to study, it costs thousands!!

ReputationRep:
    what work does you husband do?
    Is he in the armed forces? If so, there may be something there to help.

ReputationRep:
    what work does you husband do?
    Is he in the armed forces? If so, there may be something there to help.
    No he just work a regular job for the bank.

ReputationRep:
    not sure what to suggest, other than keep looking and don't give up on your dream.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately not. They don't offer any funding to anyone who is studying outside to UK, not even to British citizens who will be moving back during their studies. Many thanks for the info. It's been a while since I studied and I just can't believe that for an adult to study, it costs thousands!!
    If you are planning to move back I have another suggestion to you.

Study the syllabus of the ALevels related to a subject you are interested in studying at degree level.

You don’t need to take the exams. Just study the content so that you are prepared. The open university also have free access courses that you can study from anywhere. These cover stuff like essay writing and also basic subject related content.

Then when you come back you will be eligible for student finance to study and Open University degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeaScape)
    If you are planning to move back I have another suggestion to you.

Study the syllabus of the ALevels related to a subject you are interested in studying at degree level.

You don’t need to take the exams. Just study the content so that you are prepared. The open university also have free access courses that you can study from anywhere. These cover stuff like essay writing and also basic subject related content.

Then when you come back you will be eligible for student finance to study and Open University degree.
    Ahhh, you are very kind trying to come up with a solution for me. To be honest the plan is to come back to the UK in 2 years but we have to go where the career opportunities are for my husband.... so in other words, we'll be back at some point but its unlikely it'll be in the next 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    have you spoke to your husband?
    maybe a compromise can be found where you're both career happy?

I live in a small Lincolnshire village. there is no adult education near me, hence the distance learning. we are where we are because of my partners job.
    by the time I graduate, my partner will also be in a position to be in a different job, a job location that will benefit my career choices too.
    (I hope I don't cause offence, it's not my intention)

ReputationRep:
    have you spoke to your husband?
    maybe a compromise can be found where you're both career happy?

I live in a small Lincolnshire village. there is no adult education near me, hence the distance learning. we are where we are because of my partners job.
    by the time I graduate, my partner will also be in a position to be in a different job, a job location that will benefit my career choices too.
    (I hope I don't cause offence, it's not my intention)
    Haha, no offence taken at all.
    I totally understand your point. My husband also wants to move back to the west but we are bonded here until at least 2020.After that we can leave but as he is the breadwinner right now (I can't work here because of visa restraints) we have no choice but to follow his opportunities because we can't have no income.

I just pray that the next location we go to is an easier location for me, study wise.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.