Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alright, so I'm a second year university student and we're mid way through the second year. I still have no friends, it's so weird being so far from home and nothing changes. It must be me but I don't know what makes people like someone. It's kinda always been like this since I was a kid. Sometimes I think it's the fact I'm fat so I try not to eat that much. Honestly it's hard not to sound like a sob story cause it's hard for everyone. I've tried going to the gym but I get incredibly anxious and think I'm being watched even though I'm probably not. I usually spend as much time as I can in my room as I feel there's nobody looking or judging me. I always try to tell myself that I'm not depressed and that I am okay but lately it's becoming harder and harder. My grades have slipped from B's and A's to D's. I'm scared of trying to seek help for what's going on inside my head as I don't want to come across as an attention seeker. Sorry if this post sounds whiny.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Is there a support team at your uni you can talk to? Lots of students feel the way you do so you aren't alone. Also literally nobody cares what anyone does at the gym - everyone is focused on themselves and really you aren't being watched.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Is there a support team at your uni you can talk to? Lots of students feel the way you do so you aren't alone. Also literally nobody cares what anyone does at the gym - everyone is focused on themselves and really you aren't being watched.

I don't know if the Uni has a support thing honestly I know that too it's cause I'm nutty but it just never goes away. I wouldn't know how to tell anyone face to face about all of this. Evsn over the net it's daunting.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by SilentS)
    I don't know if the Uni has a support thing honestly I know that too it's cause I'm nutty but it just never goes away. I wouldn't know how to tell anyone face to face about all of this. Evsn over the net it's daunting.
    I know it can be so difficult to say these sorts of things--but I'm sure there must be something at your Uni that would give you the support you need. You've already made the first step in telling us, so that proves that you want to help yourself and move forward!

I've had similar experiences--I spoke about them here--but I only felt relief once I had told someone. There's no greater feeling than telling someone invested in your wellbeing--be it family, friends from home, or a counselor.

If you need help finding services--let us know what Uni you're at and we can search for them together.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.