Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to study in the UK in September. I live in Greece - my mother is British and my first language is English. I think I am eligible for a UK Passport. I know that I can claim help with tuition fees but am I also entitled to any student finance. I will be living in a residence in England with my sister.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PeteZeg)
    I am hoping to study in the UK in September. I live in Greece - my mother is British and my first language is English. I think I am eligible for a UK Passport. I know that I can claim help with tuition fees but am I also entitled to any student finance. I will be living in a residence in England with my sister.
    You have to be living in the UK for 5 years before the start of your course or be the child of a migrant worker to get the maintenance loan.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Pete,

Can I ask, were you born in the UK or have you ever lived in the UK at any point in your life ?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Pete,

Can I ask, were you born in the UK or have you ever lived in the UK at any point in your life ?

Thanks Rona
    Hi, Rona,
    No, I haven't. But my mother is a UK national and I am applying for a UK passport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You have to be living in the UK for 5 years before the start of your course or be the child of a migrant worker to get the maintenance loan.
    Yes, I read that somewhere, but I am asking because my mother is British - born and bred in England and paid national insurance most of her life. I wasn't sure if this affected anything as I think I cam claim British nationality through my mother, although I'm not sure.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Yes, I read that somewhere, but I am asking because my mother is British - born and bred in England and paid national insurance most of her life. I wasn't sure if this affected anything as I think I cam claim British nationality through my mother, although I'm not sure.
    Hi Pete,

If you hold a UK Passport or a UK Birth Certificate and have been living within the EEA/Switzerland, you must demonstrate that you have previously been 'settled' within the UK, gone to the EEA/Switzerland, and then returned to the UK. If you do not have 'settled' status within the UK you will be ineligible to receive student support as a 'Home' student, regardless if you hold a UK Passport or Birth Certificate.

However you will be eligible to apply as an EU student. Full Time EU students in England are entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan only.

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Pete,

If you hold a UK Passport or a UK Birth Certificate and have been living within the EEA/Switzerland, you must demonstrate that you have previously been 'settled' within the UK, gone to the EEA/Switzerland, and then returned to the UK. If you do not have 'settled' status within the UK you will be ineligible to receive student support as a 'Home' student, regardless if you hold a UK Passport or Birth Certificate.

However you will be eligible to apply as an EU student. Full Time EU students in England are entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan only.

Regards Rona
    Thanks very much for your help Rona.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.