Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i personally am of the opinion that feminism is no longer necessary in our culture, and would be much more important in other cultures where women are brutalized and live horrendous lives.
    anyone have any other opinions?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Feminism isn't just about women. It's about equality for both men and women.
    I personally believe it is necessary everywhere, but yes, it is paricularly necessary in regions where there is mass oppression.

ReputationRep:
    Cue the circle jerk of dudes patting each other on the back for being so intelligent that they could see through feminism. Someone put rick and morty on!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by nathan_rowlandd)
    i personally am of the opinion that feminism is no longer necessary in our culture, and would be much more important in other cultures where women are brutalized and live horrendous lives.
    anyone have any other opinions?
    Are you male?
    Isnt it for women to decide if they have equal opportunity? Perhaps those women who feel and experience being treated unfairly due to them being female would disagree with you? Are you saying no such discrimination happens in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is needed everywhere. It's about the equality of both men and women. Women are still oppressed in our society and it's about recognising that struggle, but also to treat both men and women as equals. It should be recognised globally and is needed everywhere to prevent the mistreatment or discrimination of anyone because of their race. Equality is needed everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie091000)
    Feminism is needed everywhere. It's about the equality of both men and women. Women are still oppressed in our society and it's about recognising that struggle, but also to treat both men and women as equals. It should be recognised globally and is needed everywhere to prevent the mistreatment or discrimination of anyone because of their race. Equality is needed everywhere.
    As an airplane is about to crash, a female passenger jumps up frantically and announces, "If I'm going to die, I want to die feeling like a woman." She removes all her clothing and asks, "Is there someone on this plane who is man enough to make me feel like a woman?" A man stands up, removes his shirt and says, "Here, iron this!".

ReputationRep:
    Modern feminism has turned into a cancerous, man-hating plague and the sooner it's gone the better. I don't buy this nonsense that it's about equality, if it truly were then why the desperate need to call it "feminism" rather than simply "equality". A lot of people in support of this equality have been shunned and mocked by feminists for the sole reason of not choosing to describe themselves as feminists. To many of these feminazis the label is more important than your actual beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    I fel feminism is very needed to help me stop the Cis white males from spreading their legs

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is not necessary here, neither anywhere else. The same way they create falsehoods to justify their existence in this part of the world (gender pay gap, campus rape epidemic etc.) they manipulate and distort facts in other parts of the world to justify their spread to them (rape victims being punished in the middle-east, people aborting girls in India because they are girls etc.)

Women are not brutalised relative to men anywhere. I challenge anyone to name me a single disadvantage that women have in any country in the world and for that one disadvantage I will name you ten for men from that same country.

Women are privileged as compared to men across the globe and even if they weren't...why would you believe a sexist, hate-filled ideology such as feminism would help fix the situation?

ReputationRep:
    I'm an anti-feminism pro-traditionalism female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    Feminism is not necessary here, neither anywhere else. The same way they create false victimhood status to justify their existence in this part of the world (gender pay gap, campus rape epidemic etc.) they manipulate and distort facts in other parts of the world to justify their spread to them.

Women are not brutalised anywhere. I challenge anyone to name me a single disadvantage that women have in any country in the world and for that one disadvantage I will name you ten for men from that same country.

Women are privileged as compared to men across the globe and even if they weren't...why would you believe a sexist, hate-filled ideology such as feminism would help fix the situation?

Feminism does not need to be spread. Its a cancer that needs eradication.
    Do you also believe the suffragettes and their successors (1st wave, 2nd wave) feminism were not needed?

Moreover, simply to claim that women's issues shouldn't be resolved because men may have more issues is ridiculous in my opinion. I've made my views on western feminism rather clear - its rotten, uneccasary and vindictive, however, I certainly support feminism in countries like Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Pakistan etc. where women clearly have problems. Men may (or may not) have more. But that shouldn't be relevant, in my opinion. Groups should be working on fixing each genders' problems. Feminism shouldn't be denied the chance to do good where it can and where women really do have issues.

Just my 2c.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xannypunanny)
    I'm an anti-feminism pro-traditionalism female.
    Why aren't you in the kitchen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    Do you also believe the suffragettes and their successors (1st wave, 2nd wave) feminism were not needed?
    To decide whether or not an ideology is true you need to understand it, its founders, its pioneers, its theory, its history. You learn them inside out. You cannot take what the followers of this ideology tell you at face value. You cannot say I support the Suffragettes when you don't know anything about them besides what feminism, this female-supracist ideology has told you about them.

The Women's Social and Political Union (WSPU) known more popularly as the Suffragettes, were not feminists. Feminism did not exist for 40 years after the Suffragette movement came to its end in the 20s with the leader of the movement Emmeline Pankhurst and its deputy, her lesbian, openly man-hating and sexist daughter Christabel disbanded the WPSU after having been bribed with a substantial amount of money to do so by Stanely Baldwin's Conservative government. They quickly proceeded to turn the WSPU into an agency for the government for recruiting men into the first world war. They lead the white feather campaign where members were encouraged to go around sticking white feathers on young boys and men on the streets of the UK to brand them as cowards for not enlisting in the war....as a result of this campaign tens of thousands of men and underage boys were pressured into war and death.So denying feminism is not exactly denying the Suffragettes but yes...I deny them too...but wait there's more to this story.

Lesbianism and man-hatred was rife in the suffragette movement. Christabel Pankhurst in her speeches and in articles in the magazine for the WSPU openly expressed her hatred for men. According the Encyclopaedia of Women's Social Reformers vol.2 page 511...she regularly issued streams of ‘virulently animale rhetoric’, which revealed her ‘unrepentant hostility towards men,’. Women from the early women's movement hated men with a vengeance. The early women's movement included people like The Mother of feminism paedophile and child rapist Simone De Beauvoir. It included women like Charlotte Perkins who wrote of the inferiority of men and superiority of women in the early 1900s. A sexist woman who today is celebrated as a hero in feminism.

The right to vote at the time of the WPSU was not only denied women but most men with the exception of the wealthy few...who at the time were sent off to die by the millions with the help of the suffragette movement....The government here in the UK at the time was moving towards giving everyone the vote this before the appearance of the Suffragette movement to which this achievement is ascribed by feminists. Had they not existed women and men would have been given the vote anyway.

My friend history is very different to what our feminised education system has taught us. In their Angry Creed, a thorough reading into feminism and its history, I highly recommend it to everyone, Herbert purdy describes the suffragettes very accurately as follows:

"Emmeline Pankhurst, and her daughters Christabel and Sylvia, have become surrounded by a sort of misty-eyed aura of female righteousness, and turned by feminists into heroines of a struggle for downtrodden women in the popular perception. The reality is far different. In fact, these women were radicalised terrorists (they fire bombed homes, set off bombs in letter boxes and physically attacked and assaulted police officers) who displayed the same flawed character traits as their Women’s Liberation counterparts many years later, and of the modern so-called ‘Third Wave’ feminists. They were just as selfish, just as sexually deviant, just as egotistical, and just as full of rage"

I've just touched the surface of this issue here. In answer to your question no I do not believe that the suffragettes/terrorists/sexist/misandrists where needed either. I don't believe the solution to sexism is more sexism. I don't believe solutions to sexism should in any way be gendered.

Moreover, simply to claim that women's issues shouldn't be resolved because men may have more issues is ridiculous in my opinion.
    That wasn't what I wrote. Feminism claims that we live in a world where women are more disadvantaged than men who are privileged according to this ideology. In answer to the author of this thread who suggested the same thing as you have in your comment, exporting this ideology to other parts of the world because women are more disadvantaged in other parts of the world than men, I wrote that like this country in other parts of the world men suffer more than women. Hence exporting feminism to other parts of the world is not necessary.

I've made my views on western feminism rather clear - its rotten, uneccasary and vindictive,
    Is this why you want to export it elsewhere? Rot needs to be cleaned, excised, decontaminated, removed as apposed to spread elsewhere. wouldn't you agree? my friend has the damage that this sexist, hate-filled, manipulative, perverse movement done to this part of the world not taught us anything?

and by the way....feminism has existed in other parts of the world for as long as it has here. Shulamith Firestone, one of the most prominent radical feminists spent a good portion of her life campaigning for the hatred of men in Iran. Lebanon today is FULL of feminists where men are suffering similar problems to the ones we are having here. In Israel. feminists recently blocked a law to charge women with rape after a spate of rapes of children by israeli women. In India feminism has riled women up against men and changed rape laws such that now over 50% of rape claims in that country are thought to be false...and innocent men are being lynched and murdered by mobs lead by feminists in that country.

No, feminism needs to be eliminated everywhere it rears its ugly head..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    Why aren't you in the kitchen?
    Traditional values have not restricted women to the kitchen. Many a woman have lead empires, thrones, armies, religions...but perhaps the most important role women have played throughout traditional history is the role of motherhood...

ReputationRep:
    Traditional values have not restricted women to the kitchen. Many a woman have lead empires, thrones, armies, religions...but perhaps the most important role women have played throughout traditional history is the role of motherhood...
    I'm pretty confident that there will be significantly more self-identifying 'traditional' women in contemporary society who spend time on their knees in the kitchen than there are who lead empires or armies.

I'm also less inclined to see motherhood as a 'role' than as a biological function of being a female that has given birth (though I appreciate this depends on how you choose to define 'motherhood').

ReputationRep:
    I like nominalism.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty confident that there will be significantly more self-identifying 'traditional' women in contemporary society who spend time on their knees in the kitchen than there are who lead empires or armies.
    Is there anything wrong with that? whilst the wife spends time on her knees in the kitchen the man is spending time on his knees earning a living....both genders work to their strengths and limitations to provide for their children.

I'm also less inclined to see motherhood as a 'role' than as a biological function of being a female that has given birth (though I appreciate this depends on how you choose to define 'motherhood'.
    Its a biological function and our biology defines our roles in life but this is something that you might not agree with.

Motherhood changes a woman during pregnancy in preparation for the care of the child whether she likes it or not and after pregnancy too through lactation and hormones that tie her to the care of the child for the rest of her life. Point of interest - women release similar hormones during birth to those they release during sexual intercourse. Scientists believe that these hormones help the mother form ties with the child. Our biology defines our roles in life.

ReputationRep:
    To decide whether or not an ideology is true you need to understand it, its founders, its pioneers, its theory, its history. You learn them inside out. You cannot take what the followers of this ideology tell you at face value. You cannot say I support the Suffragettes when you don't know anything about them besides what feminism, this female-supracist ideology has told you about them.

The Women's Social and Political Union (WSPU) known more popularly as the Suffragettes, were not feminists. Feminism did not exist for 40 years after the Suffragette movement came to its end in the 20s with the leader of the movement Emmeline Pankhurst and its deputy, her lesbian, openly man-hating and sexist daughter Christabel disbanded the WPSU after having been bribed with a substantial amount of money to do so by Stanely Baldwin's Conservative government. They quickly proceeded to turn the WSPU into an agency for the government for recruiting men into the first world war. They lead the white feather campaign where members were encouraged to go around sticking white feathers on young boys and men on the streets of the UK to brand them as cowards for not enlisting in the war....as a result of this campaign tens of thousands of men and underage boys were pressured into war and death.So denying feminism is not exactly denying the Suffragettes but yes...I deny them too...but wait there's more to this story.

Lesbianism and man-hatred was rife in the suffragette movement. Christabel Pankhurst in her speeches and in articles in the magazine for the WSPU openly expressed her hatred for men. According the Encyclopaedia of Women's Social Reformers vol.2 page 511...she regularly issued streams of ‘virulently animale rhetoric’, which revealed her ‘unrepentant hostility towards men,’. Women from the early women's movement hated men with a vengeance. The early women's movement included people like The Mother of feminism paedophile and child rapist Simone De Beauvoir. It included women like Charlotte Perkins who wrote of the inferiority of men and superiority of women in the early 1900s. A sexist woman who today is celebrated as a hero in feminism.

The right to vote at the time of the WPSU was not only denied women but nearly all men (over 90%) with the exception of the wealthy few...who at the time were sent off to die by the millions with the help of the suffragette movement....The government here in the UK at the time was moving towards giving everyone the vote this before the appearance of the Suffragette movement to which this achievement is ascribed by feminists. Had they not existed women and men would have been given the vote anyway.

My friend history is very different to what our feminised education system has taught us. In their Angry Creed, a thorough reading into feminism and its history, I highly recommend it to everyone, Herbert purdy describes the suffragettes very accurately as follows:

"Emmeline Pankhurst, and her daughters Christabel and Sylvia, have become surrounded by a sort of misty-eyed aura of female righteousness, and turned by feminists into heroines of a struggle for downtrodden women in the popular perception. The reality is far different. In fact, these women were radicalised terrorists (they fire bombed homes, set off bombs in letter boxes and physically attacked and assaulted police officers) who displayed the same flawed character traits as their Women’s Liberation counterparts many years later, and of the modern so-called ‘Third Wave’ feminists. They were just as selfish, just as sexually deviant, just as egotistical, and just as full of rage"

I've just touched the surface of this issue here. In answer to your question no I do not believe that the suffragettes/terrorists/sexist/misandrists where needed either. I don't believe the solution to sexism is more sexism. I don't believe solutions to sexism should in any way be gendered.

That wasn't what I wrote. Feminism claims that we live in a world where women are more disadvantaged than men who are privileged according to this ideology. In answer to the author of this thread who suggested the same thing as you have in your comment, exporting this ideology to other parts of the world because women are more disadvantaged in other parts of the world than men, I wrote that like this country in other parts of the world men suffer more than women. Hence exporting feminism to other parts of the world is not necessary.

Is this why you want to export it elsewhere? Rot needs to be cleaned, excised, decontaminated, removed as apposed to spread elsewhere. wouldn't you agree? my friend has the damage that this sexist, hate-filled, manipulative, perverse movement done to this part of the world not taught us anything?

and by the way....feminism has existed in other parts of the world for as long as it has here. Shulamith Firestone, one of the most prominent radical feminists spent a good portion of her life campaigning for the hatred of men in Iran. Lebanon today is FULL of feminists where men are suffering similar problems to the ones we are having here. In Israel. feminists recently blocked a law to charge women with rape after a spate of rapes of children by israeli women. In India feminism has riled women up against men and changed rape laws such that now over 50% of rape claims in that country are thought to be false...and innocent men are being lynched and murdered by mobs lead by feminists in that country.

No, feminism needs to be eliminated everywhere it rears its ugly head..
    It's rare you'll find an online comment this...enlightening, shall we say. Great comment mate, honestly taught me a lot.

Just a quick question relating to what you wrote:

"The government here in the UK at the time was moving towards giving everyone the vote this before the appearance of the Suffragette movement to which this achievement is ascribed by feminists. Had they not existed women and men would have been given the vote anyway."

Do you have any sources to back up the last sentence?

Also, why do you think academic feminists choose to ignore this stuff. Surely, the must know about it, so why is it that they choose to blind themselves to the (rather large) ugly side of feminism in your opinion? As an extension, why do you think the founders of feminism, are hailed as heros despite their awful deeds? Misconeption? Lack of education? Cognitive bias?

But anyway, really good comment, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is about equality. Everyone should be treated exactly the same, no one should be treated differently just because of their gender, race, religion, sexuality etc. However, I do not believe feminism is about women taking over the world and gaining power, many believe they should be given something just because they’re a women and are better because they’re a women, this is not okay either.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is not necessary here, neither anywhere else. The same way they create false victimhood status to justify their existence in this part of the world (gender pay gap, campus rape epidemic etc.) they manipulate and distort facts in other parts of the world to justify their spread to them.

Women are not brutalised anywhere. I challenge anyone to name me a single disadvantage that women have in any country in the world and for that one disadvantage I will name you ten for men from that same country.

Okay, I am not a big fan of the term feminism and I agree that a gender-neutral term would have been more appropriate.

but women are brutalised everywhere. Rape occurs everywhere, are you telling me that isn't brutal?

and in underdeveloped countries treatment is worse. For example, in rural Nepal women are forced to sleep outside in sheds when they are on their periods because they are seen as unclean and are not allowed to touch men or children during this time. Boys are taught from a young age to regard girls as inferior, which begins the viscous cycle that leads to rape.

There was a BBC documentary about women in Russia a couple of weeks ago. and even on there women are allowed to be beaten legally. the law protects domestic abusers. And one man even says that women should be slaves to their husbands.

Men face their own brutalities and disadvantages too, there is no denying that and they deserve as much support as women. But you cannot legitimately say that women are not brutalised in the world.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.