The Student Room Group

Student and maniteance loan won’t cover accommodation

My student loan iv been offered is around 3500£ and my self catered ensuite is around 6500£

The cheaper accommodation is bout 5800 so either way I have to get hold of 2000-3000 pound..

My mum is retired and my dad earns enough as to why I have a low student loan, however they’re not willing to give to help me out which is fair enough but how do I get around 3grand and money food food!
I know a job but part time jobs at uni or my job now wont fund this
why did you get expensive accomodation, you don't need an en-suite
Original post by Edmondscharlie0
My student loan iv been offered is around 3500£ and my self catered ensuite is around 6500£

The cheaper accommodation is bout 5800 so either way I have to get hold of 2000-3000 pound..

My mum is retired and my dad earns enough as to why I have a low student loan, however they’re not willing to give to help me out which is fair enough but how do I get around 3grand and money food food!

How much cheaper is it with a shared bathroom?
(edited 6 years ago)
Start saving up money you earn now (seriously don't spend anything unless totally vital) and then just work at uni too. My flatmate is similar to you at the moment.
A room in a student house will be cheaper.
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
How much cheaper is it with a shared bathroom? Also, it's generally cheaper overall to go self-catered even after factoring in grocery costs.

They are self-catered.
Original post by Bio 7
They are self-catered.

:facepalm:

How did I manage to read the OP as catered? Argh
Reply 7
If you really can't afford en-suite try to get a shared bathroom.
Reply 8

Which university? Someone may be able to suggest cheaper alternatives.
I think you might just need to change your mind about whether it's fair or not to ask your parents for money towards it.

If you can get them to just cover the rest of your accommodation cost, you should be able to cover the rest of your maintenance costs with a part time job. Try and get a job at the university or student union as these will be the best paying and most flexible.

I’m in the same situation my parents own 90k together but aren’t willing to help at all, I don’t feel like the loan should be purely based on parents income it’s unfair for them to assume our parents should help out. I’m sorry but the lowest accommodation price is 4,000 in my chosen university and I will get 3,000 even if I work it will be so hard to cover the living costs!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Marla12
I’m in the same situation my parents own 90k together but aren’t willing to help at all, I don’t feel like the loan should be purely based on parents income it’s unfair for them to assume our parents should help out. I’m sorry but the lowest accommodation price is 4,000 in my chosen university and I will get 2,000 even if I work it will be so hard to cover the living costs!

Why will you only get £2k? Every student living away from home outside London is entitled to around £4k.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Why will you only get £2k? Every student living away from home outside London is entitled to around £4k.

It was a typo sorry I meant 3k and I was told 3k from the student finance people that came in college last week, we done a small survey online to get an estimate and because my parents own 90k-100k I got the probably lowest because for over 70k it’s up to 3.800 I think.

you could as last ditch after sorting out cheaper accommodation. get a student bank account with £2000 0% interest rate and mayb a free gift from signing up, like a rail card or £60 amazon voucher. but Deffo go to student services and see if they can help or suggest anything
I assume you aren’t going to uni in London or Brighton but even if you are, halls are drastically overpriced. Look for houseshares in your area, you will find something much cheaper. You may still need to find money to cover food etc but it won’t be £500 a month just to pay your rent. If you get involved in your uni societies etc I wouldn’t worry too much socially about not living in halls, I don’t know how anyone affords it.

Quick Reply

Latest