Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a final year design student at Trent. I am currently working on a project investigating Insomnia in students. Do you currently, or have done, struggle to either get to sleep, stay asleep or wake up and can't get back to sleep? If so, you may suffer from a type of Insomnia. I myself suffer a mild form on insomnia and constantly lay awake at night.
    I am aiming to try and solve this rather annoying issue and it would be great to have a chat and get some other sufferers perspective on this. Hopefully, together, we can get to the bottom of this and get some more sleep!

If you would like to get in contact, please comment below and we can go from there. Thanks!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The only time I struggle is if people are being drunk and loud in my accommodation. I use ear plugs now and I rarely struggle to sleep.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I used to struugle to fall asleep but once I moved and had a bigger bed that helped the problem.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a second year and have had a lot of trouble with sleep this year. Was struggling to get to sleep and always waking up at around 4am and not being able to fall asleep again. This resulted in me getting sleep medication from a pharmacy as it was ruining my work schedule.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have awful insomnia. I’ve tried what seems like everything to try and help. It takes hours to fall asleep, I wake up loads in the night and I wake up at 4-5am everyday. I’ve stayed a wake for days before with my record set at 5 whole days (no kidding).
    I’d be more than happy to answer any questions as I’d love someone to find a cure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophhhowa)
    Hi
    I have awful insomnia. I’ve tried what seems like everything to try and help. It takes hours to fall asleep, I wake up loads in the night and I wake up at 4-5am everyday. I’ve stayed a wake for days before with my record set at 5 whole days (no kidding).
    I’d be more than happy to answer any questions as I’d love someone to find a cure!
    gosh that sounds awful, did you really not sleep for 5 whole days? Did you drink coffee or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyomynameis...)
    gosh that sounds awful, did you really not sleep for 5 whole days? Did you drink coffee or something?
    Yeah it actually happened. No I don’t drink coffee or anything
    PM me for more details if u want

ReputationRep:
    Hey mate. I think I used to suffer from some form of mild insomnia too. I've never been a great sleeper, used to take me ages to get to asleep and I'd constantly wake up in the night. I'd feel tired all day and then in the night I'd be wide awake for some reason haha. A few things I'd suggest are avoiding screens (or use blue light filters) in the night, maybe make your room dark from 10-11pm and the darkness should tell your brain it's time to sleep soon, avoid any caffeine after 7pm, and try to be active during the day. Even if you feel tired all day, try your best to not feel tired and keep telling yourself you aren't tired, that you are full of energy. I think that this way, you will use up more energy in the day and thus feel more tired in the night. Hope these few tips helped you like they helped me. I still don't have a great sleeping schedule but I'm not waking up in the middle of the night anymore and it's pretty easy to fall asleep. Oh, and try to make a routine if you can i.e. sleep at 10pm, wake up 8am every day regardless of the day (times can be whenever suits you best)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    I used to struugle to fall asleep but once I moved and had a bigger bed that helped the problem.
    Thats great thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smokeinthewindow)
    Hi, I'm a second year and have had a lot of trouble with sleep this year. Was struggling to get to sleep and always waking up at around 4am and not being able to fall asleep again. This resulted in me getting sleep medication from a pharmacy as it was ruining my work schedule.
    Hi there! Thank you for getting back to me, apologies for a slow response. I was wandering if you would be able to answer a few further questions...
    Do you think the cause of the lack of sleep is because of your university work and you are stressed?
    How are you finding the medication? I struggle myself and found the medication to be pretty ineffective. Have you considered looking at a more holistic approach such as meditation apps or different light bulbs etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophhhowa)
    Hi
    Hi! That does sound awful, 5 days is a serious amount of time without any sleep! Well I suffer a bit also so I am very keen to get to some sort of solution. Hopefully with your help, we can figure something out. I have attached in this reply a word document containing a few questions just about your general routine and your sleeping environment. At the bottom is a short table with 20 minute incremented slots. If you could generally outline how you are spending the time in the 2 hours building up to going to bed. It can be as in depth as you wish. At the bottom is an email address for you to send it back to me.
    Thank you again
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Insomnia Study - Further Questions.docx (65.0 KB, 19 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolguy64592)
    Hey mate. I think I used to suffer from some form of mild insomnia too. I've never been a great sleeper, used to take me ages to get to asleep and I'd constantly wake up in the night. I'd feel tired all day and then in the night I'd be wide awake for some reason haha. A few things I'd suggest are avoiding screens (or use blue light filters) in the night, maybe make your room dark from 10-11pm and the darkness should tell your brain it's time to sleep soon, avoid any caffeine after 7pm, and try to be active during the day. Even if you feel tired all day, try your best to not feel tired and keep telling yourself you aren't tired, that you are full of energy. I think that this way, you will use up more energy in the day and thus feel more tired in the night. Hope these few tips helped you like they helped me. I still don't have a great sleeping schedule but I'm not waking up in the middle of the night anymore and it's pretty easy to fall asleep. Oh, and try to make a routine if you can i.e. sleep at 10pm, wake up 8am every day regardless of the day (times can be whenever suits you best)
    Hi there, thank you for that great advice!

ReputationRep:
    Lay my head on my pillow close my eyes regardless he time of day I will just slip into sleep within 20 minutes.

Slept at 6:30 pm once cus I came home late and barely slept from the previous night.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.