Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

So I’ve decided to write this post to see if I can help out at least a few people in the same situation as me. I’m a first year student studying teaching at a university near Liverpool (can’t say which for privacy reasons, sorry) and I’ve had an incredibly unhappy time here.

My first coupe of weeks I had to move halls a few times due to harassment and absolutely filthy conditions and noisy flat mates in a hall that I chose due to
    it’s quiet status. For those who might think I was just picky or being silly, I want to reassure you that I am pretty chill. I don’t expect everything to be spotless or anything like that but in that particular hall, there was rotting food everywhere and the dining table had been broken in addition to the microwave, which obviously isn’t alright. Unfortunately even after I had moved to my third hall and despite loving the people and the location of the hall itself, I got seriously ill.

I was in serious pain constantly and lost my appetite. I wasn’t able to do a lot and missed most of freshers week in addition to not being able to go out or drink. The flatmates in this hall, took it as though I was being antisocial and took it upon themselves to force me out of the halls to get someone more social. It was such an upsetting time for me however I don’t hate them for what they did since they had not decided to just ask me what was going on since I was confined to my bed to rest most days. One of the girls in this hall who forced me out through bullying and physical damage to my room, is in all of my classes and as I am a shy person I’ve been isolated from the rest of the group.

Fast forward to now, the hall I’m in currently is okay but as I do a different course to the seven girls in here I don’t see them often and I’m not part of their social group. Following a hospital procedure and so many tests and scans, my health picked up significantly so I tried my best to join sports clubs and societies. Due to my health it was hard to commit to going each week but I did my very best and participated. However I did not meet anyone who was interested in being friends.

I’m about to move into my own apartment hopefully with my partner so things should improve for me as it has been an incredibly difficult time. But I am still trying to make at least one good friend. So I’d like to ask if anyone else who has struggled to fit in at uni or just not really made any good friends sees this post if you would like any advice or support you can leave a comment below and hopefully we can create a group of people who would like to be friends and can help each other through this tasking time ☺️

Speak soon and best of luck with everything, I’m here for all you people like me x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous040598)
    Hi all,

So I’ve decided to write this post to see if I can help out at least a few people in the same situation as me. I’m a first year student studying teaching at a university near Liverpool (can’t say which for privacy reasons, sorry) and I’ve had an incredibly unhappy time here.

My first coupe of weeks I had to move halls a few times due to harassment and absolutely filthy conditions and noisy flat mates in a hall that I chose due to
    it’s quiet status. For those who might think I was just picky or being silly, I want to reassure you that I am pretty chill. I don’t expect everything to be spotless or anything like that but in that particular hall, there was rotting food everywhere and the dining table had been broken in addition to the microwave, which obviously isn’t alright. Unfortunately even after I had moved to my third hall and despite loving the people and the location of the hall itself, I got seriously ill.

I was in serious pain constantly and lost my appetite. I wasn’t able to do a lot and missed most of freshers week in addition to not being able to go out or drink. The flatmates in this hall, took it as though I was being antisocial and took it upon themselves to force me out of the halls to get someone more social. It was such an upsetting time for me however I don’t hate them for what they did since they had not decided to just ask me what was going on since I was confined to my bed to rest most days. One of the girls in this hall who forced me out through bullying and physical damage to my room, is in all of my classes and as I am a shy person I’ve been isolated from the rest of the group.

Fast forward to now, the hall I’m in currently is okay but as I do a different course to the seven girls in here I don’t see them often and I’m not part of their social group. Following a hospital procedure and so many tests and scans, my health picked up significantly so I tried my best to join sports clubs and societies. Due to my health it was hard to commit to going each week but I did my very best and participated. However I did not meet anyone who was interested in being friends.

I’m about to move into my own apartment hopefully with my partner so things should improve for me as it has been an incredibly difficult time. But I am still trying to make at least one good friend. So I’d like to ask if anyone else who has struggled to fit in at uni or just not really made any good friends sees this post if you would like any advice or support you can leave a comment below and hopefully we can create a group of people who would like to be friends and can help each other through this tasking time ☺️

Speak soon and best of luck with everything, I’m here for all you people like me x
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through all this. During my first year, I had a lot of problems with anxiety and depression and therefore confined myself to my room but I was lucky to have similar flatmates and I also found a few close friends who I'd met online who went to the same uni.

I ended up living with them in second and third year, but we had a bit of a fallout and we stopped hanging out and living in a house with people you don't like is nerve-wracking and scary. I had to make an effort to avoid them, which meant staying in my room and sometimes starving myself because they were in the kitchen. It was awful and I felt like I was the only person suffering with this.
    In my third and final year, I told myself that I wasn't going to let myself suffer like this so I took some initiative, and decided to connect with people. One small step at a time, I started joining sports and societies, with the hope of meeting people who share similar interests. As a nerdy person, I joined the Harry Potter and Sci-Fi and Fantasy Societies and I found people with similar problems with mental health which made it easier to fit in as I'd thought that my problems were unique. Knowing that I wasn't alone was the first step to happiness.

One year later, I'm a postgrad student at the same uni, I feel comfortable and happy and I know that my past experiences have shaped me into who I am. This probably sounds very cliche and fairytale-like but you should never lose hope. You're not alone, there are many people who go through these problems, even if society stigmatises them. My advice to you would be to try to put yourself out there. Join societies that peak your interests. It may feel very scary at first but you have to keep trying and you'll always find at least a few people who understand you and have things in common with you. I may not understand what you're going through exactly but I hope this advice helps out a bit because its really helped me out. "When you hit your lowest point, you are open to the greatest change"-Avatar Aang.

Good Luck!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.