The Student Room Group

Cass or Warwick?

Hello guys I really need your help and suggestions. I’ve got offers from Warwick business school to study accounting and finance, and from cass business school to study actuarial science. ( both undergraduate) I have to choose one of them because I was rejected by LSE’s actuarial science. Frankly, I don’t know which to choose at all. My friends advice me to choose cass but cass belongs to London city university, which isn’t a really good university( compare to Warwick university). So I’m struggling with this problem. Could you please give me some suggestions? I’m wondering which course will give me a better future, which one is easier to find a job and which one is higher paid after graduation. Thank you in advance 🙏🙏
WARWICK
Reply 2
By the way, I also received offer from Manchester university to study actuarial science and mathematics. I personally don’t really want to choose this one because Manchester university isn’t really famous for actuarial science. I’m looking forward to seeing your suggestions 🙏
Reply 3
Original post by Humz007
WARWICK

Why Warwick? Can you explain it please?
Reply 4
Original post by Jasparrr
Hello guys I really need your help and suggestions. I’ve got offers from Warwick business school to study accounting and finance, and from cass business school to study actuarial science. ( both undergraduate) I have to choose one of them because I was rejected by LSE’s actuarial science. Frankly, I don’t know which to choose at all. My friends advice me to choose cass but cass belongs to London city university, which isn’t a really good university( compare to Warwick university). So I’m struggling with this problem. Could you please give me some suggestions? I’m wondering which course will give me a better future, which one is easier to find a job and which one is higher paid after graduation. Thank you in advance 🙏🙏

Are you sure you know what you want to study? Actuarial science and accountancy are very different subjects. There is a good thread on here about training to be an actuary - many seem to advise studying maths or maths with some actuarial options.
Cass is one of the best for acturial science and Warwick is good too. In this case, you need to look at the modules in each degree and decide which subject you like best and where you would rather live.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Are you sure you know what you want to study? Actuarial science and accountancy are very different subjects. There is a good thread on here about training to be an actuary - many seem to advise studying maths or maths with some actuarial options.

Thanks for your reply. I can imagine that actuary is a hard work, so does that indicate that actuarial science will lead me to a better future? Thank you so much for your help!!!
Reply 7
Original post by TaraMott
Cass is one of the best for acturial science and Warwick is good too. In this case, you need to look at the modules in each degree and decide which subject you like best and where you would rather live.

Thank you for your help!!!
Depends on your career choices but generally warwick business school is better perceived and is amongst the target universities for investment banking recruitment..
Reply 9
Original post by claudiorafael
Depends on your career choices but generally warwick business school is better perceived and is amongst the target universities for investment banking recruitment..

That makes sense, thank you so much for your help!!! I heard that cass is really famous for actuarial science, so will investment banks like to recruit people from there? Are people from cass competitive enough? 🙏🙏
I don’t know if you’ve noticed but he didn’t mention his career aspirations and the courses are different..
If he wants a career in accounting/finance/IB I think accounting and finance at warwick is the best choice
It's worth noting Cass has a reputation unto itself separate from City University, London - it's quite well regarded in the business world, as I understand.

If you want to become an investment banker, why are you applying to a course to train as an actuary...?
Thanks for your reply. I can imagine that actuary is a hard work, so does that indicate that actuarial science will lead me to a better future? Thank you so much for your help!!!

I'm a Chartered Accountant not an actuary but have met a few - under the careers section for accounting and finance on this site there are some people who will give advice on that career.

In general actuaries earn a lot and have a pretty nice work life balance. The qualification is very hard however. You need to check what you are studying if you are interested in that route. Acc +Fin is probably not going to be much use as a degree if you want to be an actuary. I think the general advice is to do a good maths degree (or maths/ stats, MORSE, physics) at an academically strong university.

Have you considered a year out to make sure you have researched thoroughly? Personally I think that maths/ stats/ actuarial type courses have a great future as you cover material which is pretty hard to learn by yourself without a lot of focused effort and there is more and more use of data analysis happening.
That makes sense, thank you so much for your help!!! I heard that cass is really famous for actuarial science, so will investment banks like to recruit people from there? Are people from cass competitive enough? 🙏🙏

People from cass can still break into investment banking but it is significantly harder. I’d say consult both curriculums and see what you’d prefer to study because if you end disliking your course it will probably hinder your grades and you don’t want that. I think if you wanna become an actuary then go to cass, if you prefer investment banking go to warwick. But I reckon you’ll be fine with either choices regardless of your career options, most importantly you need to like your course so you can manage to score high
I thought the same thing, the OP seems confused
In light of his uncertainty I’d say accounting and finance is a really good course that can open a lot of doors professionally
(edited 6 years ago)
I've just looked at the actuarial science/ maths course on the Manchester website and it looks very good - would open a lot of doors. I'd have another think about this if I were you. I don't think actuarial courses are particularly well known in England (unlike the US) so finding out about course reputation may not be straightforward.
Why Warwick? Can you explain it please?

It's a 'target' uni. And for IB there's no advantage of doing actuarial science.

Quick Reply

Latest