Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please help.

I've been sooo stupid. 3 weeks ago I had a one night stand with a man. We were drunk and didn't use anything. First time I've ever been so stupid.

I had thrush the week after which I put down to the sex (this can happen to me now and then)

Today I've a terrible sore throat and my lymph nodes are swollen. (This does seem to be going around at the moment a few people I work say they know someone who has the same)

But after googling STD symptoms this keeps coming up as HIV.

I read its difficult for a male to catch HIV from a female.

I am female. What I am hoping is I'm being really silly and I've worried myself sick. Because if it's harder for them to catch it. I'm hoping he hasn't caught it and ofcoarse if he doesn't have it then I can't.

We only slept with each other once and he didn't ejaculate.

Next week is 4 weeks since the unprotected sex. So I have booked an appointment the following Monday to get a test as it happened on Saturday night.

I am so scared I am struggling to sleep.

Please help.

Say he had it and didn't know (worst case, as if he was on medication his levels would be low and that would lower chances of transfer) is there a high chance I could have it??
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Not much you can do except get tested. Have you seen your GP?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have booked an appointment at the sexual health clinic for a full sexual health check up for all STI/STD's

I know it won't show before 4 weeks. So I am going 4 weeks and 2 days after.

I feel so stupid.... I've been reading online for almost a week about it now... and the more I read the more I think. Could I be that unlucky?

He would have to have it (which chances are low) then I would need to have caught it from pre [email protected] from one sexual exposure??

(Original post by Justagirl2)
    I have booked an appointment at the sexual health clinic for a full sexual health check up for all STI/STD's

I feel so stupid.... I've been reading online for almost a week about it now... and the more I read the more I think. Could I be that unlucky?

He would have to have it (which chances are low) then I would need to have caught it from pre [email protected] from one sexual exposure??
    To be honest, it's unlikely that you do have it, but it's best to get tested. You're saying that no semen was transmitted, so, in all likelihood, you don't have it.

And your thought process with regards to having HIV symptoms is called the prosecutor's fallacy. If you have HIV, then you're likely to get a flu-like illness. But if you have a flu-like illness, it is highly unlikely that you have HIV. So don't worry too much about it.

I also had a flu-like illness and I did something with more risk than what you did but I still tested negative.

Still, you need to get yourself tested ASAP. You will probably need to do repeat tests after 1 month and 3 months, but you mustn't wait that long to get tested. It's possible that you already have the antibodies which will give a positive test, so you can take the test now. The reason you have to go back is that it may take up to 3 months for the antibodies to show up, but that doesn't mean it won't happen sooner. The sooner you get tested, the sooner you can relax or get treatment, depending on the outcome.

ReputationRep:

Google cannot diagnose you. It’s good that you’ve made an appointment. Ensure that you get tested for everything. You should be more worried about other STDs like chlamydia and gonorrhoea as they’re much more commonly transmitted. You could be that unlucky, but it’s very unlikely as you know. The chances of him having it as a heterosexual man are already low, and even if he does have it, the chances that he could then pass it on to you (via vaginal sex I assume ) from a one time exposure is also very low.

I’m sure that your results will be negative. Practice safe sex or abstain in the future!

I’ve had a full STD test before. When she said she’d take my blood to test for stds like HIV and hepatitis, I panicked. For those two weeks afterwards, I was googling non stop and convincing myself that I had symptoms. Then I got a phone call that everything was negative and my ‘symptoms’ disappeared. The human body is very strange

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies and not being judgemental.

I have booked my appointment,just be a long 9 days wait to take the test.

Yes the more I read it seems unlikely. He was a heterosexual male and was vaginal sex yes.

Please believe me I will never do it again. Ever

ReputationRep:
    I feel a lot worse today. My neck is stiff and I have a lump in my arm on the fore arm

Also I have calf pain (like I've ran a half marathon) when I rub it the pain makes me want to scream.

I am so worried and I keep googling and all my symthoms come up with HIV after 3 weeks exposure 😫

ReputationRep:
    Maybe yes maybe no. Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    It’s easier said than done, but try to forget it. As most people have said, it’s probably not HIV. Try to calm down and take care of yourself. I hope it all works out okay

ReputationRep:
    I feel a lot worse today. My neck is stiff and I have a lump in my arm on the fore arm

Also I have calf pain (like I've ran a half marathon) when I rub it the pain makes me want to scream.

I am so worried and I keep googling and all my symthoms come up with HIV after 3 weeks exposure 😫
    If he has HIV, the chances that you contracted it are around 0.1% (that's 1 in 1000)

This means that the vast majority of people who contract HIV do it through repeated unprotected intercourse with others who are HIV positive.

Don't worry, honestly, you probably have some type of viral infection. However, do get tested.

ReputationRep:

I don’t think those symptoms you have are even STD related!

ReputationRep:
    Just so worried as it says everywhere that flu like symptoms 2/4 weeks after exposure.

I am 3 weeks after and muscle pain, head ache, sore throat and enlarged lymph nodes are flu like.

I'm even starting to question is he [email protected] inside me now. I feel like my minds playing tricks.

I read somewhere there is 5000 odd people living with HIV in Scotland. That seems very very low.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.