Turn on thread page Beta

Should I Get Rid of My Mac Mini and Use A Hosted Mac? watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently purchased a mac mini to learn how go code iOS but am thinking about getting rid if it for various reasons (it is a midrange model with an ssd that cost me ~£610 with student discount).

I have heard about hosted macs but am apprehensive about most of them as a) it works out more expensive than a mini if you use ot for more than 3 hours a day and b) most are hosted abroad so you can't have any security guarantees.

I have read that ironically Microsoft offers a free hosted service for visual studio users but their support page is confusing a.f.

so yh, should I return my mac mini or switch to a hosting service?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So you already own something that does the job and have concerns about an alternative method? Seems like it's common sense that you stick with what you have, I don't really see any benefit in changing and you yourself have focused on the negatives. So why switch? You mention "various reasons" but only listed that it is a midrange model (why does this matter if you're only using it for programming) and that it cost you £610 (things cost money, as you say it's still cheaper than hosted if you use it more than 3 hours a day). So what actually are the benefits of switching? From what you've said, there don't seem to be any
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ranchovirus)
    I recently purchased a mac mini to learn how go code iOS but am thinking about getting rid if it for various reasons (it is a midrange model with an ssd that cost me ~£610 with student discount).

I have heard about hosted macs but am apprehensive about most of them as a) it works out more expensive than a mini if you use ot for more than 3 hours a day and b) most are hosted abroad so you can't have any security guarantees.

I have read that ironically Microsoft offers a free hosted service for visual studio users but their support page is confusing a.f.

so yh, should I return my mac mini or switch to a hosting service?
    If you've already got a Mac mini, why would you go for the hosted Mac? Just keep the Mac mini.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.