The Student Room Group

Do Banks hire 16 year olds ?

I just wanted to get some experience to go into a banking related career and wouldn't necessarily mind working for no money just to get some experience. Do you think banks will hire me, I am doing my GCSE's and have lots of free time after so would be able to work for quite a few weeks and then during school i would be able to work on Saturday's, holidays etc.
Reply 1
Not for full time employment, but have you tried an apprenticeship for a bank?
No it's just for the a-level time period because i want to do a degree like Maths/Economics at university and go into Investment Banking after if all goes well
unlikely, there are apprenticeships but they are full time and the big firms dont usually hire people at 16 due to confidentiality etc. if you have contacts though you may be able to get a small job there? theres a lot of legal stuff with banking and theres not much you can do with someone whos under 18, ie supervision and stuff so you dont have a lot of options
Most chain banks have work experience schemes, it would be worth searching for the bank you want to work at + 'work experience scheme'. It would be a good opportunity to talk to other bankers about how they got into the career, whether they find it fulfilling, etc. If you belong to a group that's underrepresented in the financial profession (if you're a woman, disabled or belong to an ethnic minority) there are also a few schemes that would link you up with a mentor who'd be able to help you find a placement.
Thanks for these replies!!. I live in a small town with banks with small branches such as Santander, Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds etc. I'll try to land work experience for now and try and impress them so I can ask for a job (I wouldn't even mind doing boring admin work if it means i'm working in a Bank). Thanks again for these replies but Do you guys know if there are any legal barriers i may face?
Did you ever manage to land that job because im in the same position right now ,im also considering investment banking so if you have any advice on that or mistakes about it you learnt dont hesitate to tell.Thanks.
Original post by username2855962
I just wanted to get some experience to go into a banking related career and wouldn't necessarily mind working for no money just to get some experience. Do you think banks will hire me, I am doing my GCSE's and have lots of free time after so would be able to work for quite a few weeks and then during school i would be able to work on Saturday's, holidays etc.

You could do some work experience at a bank. To get some experience in that line of work.
Don't know if they would actually employ you at 16 though.
Original post by Emma:-)
You could do some work experience at a bank. To get some experience in that line of work.
Don't know if they would actually employ you at 16 though.

they are 19 now :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending