bitofaledge
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there.

I'm currently studying Applied Nutritional Sciences BSc (Hons), and was just writing to see if anyone can help me with my future...

I'm debating doing a Postgraduate Diploma in either Dietetics or Occupational Therapy.

My reasoning for Dietetics is that I'm currently studying Nutrition and it's always been of interest; even if I despise chemistry. In addition, the dietetics qualification allows me to do much more in terms of job prospects i.e. can apply for the NHS / working visa in Australia.

Although, I was also looking at Occupational Therapy PGDip. This course seems to resonate with me slightly more than dietetics as it is out and about, and a job whereby no two days will be the same. This massively interests me as a keen people person.

So my prime questions are:
- what job has better career prospects?
- what job has a higher earning potential throughout a career?
- what job will suit my personality more (tend to absolutely hate chemistry if i'm honest ((though will it feature massively throughout a dietetics career?)), a people person, outgoing etc)

Thanks in advance!
bitofaledge
Rep:
?
Anyone at all?
bitofaledge
Rep:
?
No one have any knowledge on either? Brilliant.
bitofaledge
Rep:
?
Come on lads do me proud x
issy1023
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
in my opinion, i'd try to do an apprenticeship in occupational therapy if that's the path you'd like to go down. the nhs are starting apprenticeships in ot this year so i'd recommend you look into it
Kjhorn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello! I was wondering what pathway you decided as I am in a similar predicament now in terms of whether to go ahead with Dietetics or Occupational Therapy! I’ve been accepted onto an OT course but not sure if it’s 100% what I want to do. Any input would be appreciated! Thank you
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry for the late reply! I'm just finishing a BSc in dietetics. I initially went to uni and completed all except 2 modules of a degree, then the uni dropped my course before I could return to finish them whilst I deferred. I then had a break and decided to do an access course, then the BSc dietetics course. 5 years in total to get to where I am now. Just discovered OT, and that I could have done a year at open university to finish my first degree, then go straight onto the MSc OT course and would have been graduated 2 years by now. Kicking myself. Doesn't really help this thread, but it was kinda relevant! If anyone is looking to change career paths, look at EVERYTHING and see if any past education can be topped up first properly before moving onto something new - doh!
Lucy98654
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 30038460)
Sorry for the late reply! I'm just finishing a BSc in dietetics. I initially went to uni and completed all except 2 modules of a degree, then the uni dropped my course before I could return to finish them whilst I deferred. I then had a break and decided to do an access course, then the BSc dietetics course. 5 years in total to get to where I am now. Just discovered OT, and that I could have done a year at open university to finish my first degree, then go straight onto the MSc OT course and would have been graduated 2 years by now. Kicking myself. Doesn't really help this thread, but it was kinda relevant! If anyone is looking to change career paths, look at EVERYTHING and see if any past education can be topped up first properly before moving onto something new - doh!
Did you enjoy the degree- what are the job prospects//salary of a dietitian?
Ixxa234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hey, if anyones still active on here which course did you think was more fulfilling. im applying to uni in september and im choosing between dietician or occupational therapy and im really not sure which one to pick.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
up to you
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ixxa234)
hey, if anyones still active on here which course did you think was more fulfilling. im applying to uni in september and im choosing between dietician or occupational therapy and im really not sure which one to pick.
Hey,

I'm a current student studying Dietetics and Human Nutrition at Coventry and I will be entering my final year in the next academic year, so I'm able to provide some insight for you!

Are there any questions, in particular, you would like to ask me about the course?

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
Ixxa234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hey,

I'm a current student studying Dietetics and Human Nutrition at Coventry and I will be entering my final year in the next academic year, so I'm able to provide some insight for you!

Are there any questions, in particular, you would like to ask me about the course?

Veronica
Hi,
Firstly I know it’s different for everyone but do you enjoy the course?
Also Idk if you know much about this since your still in your final year but do you happen to know if you can progress later on in your career and build up to get a higher earning position.
I want to enjoy and like my career but I also want to be able to live comfortably and get a good salary.
Thank you so much, I only have a few weeks to decide the course I’m picking for uni and I’m still really unsure so this is really going to help.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ixxa234)
Hi,
Firstly I know it’s different for everyone but do you enjoy the course?
Also Idk if you know much about this since your still in your final year but do you happen to know if you can progress later on in your career and build up to get a higher earning position.
I want to enjoy and like my career but I also want to be able to live comfortably and get a good salary.
Thank you so much, I only have a few weeks to decide the course I’m picking for uni and I’m still really unsure so this is really going to help.
Hey!

Thank you for getting back to me.

The course is a rollercoaster ride. It's filled with ups and downs - it's interesting, challenging, and rewarding! I enjoy learning the content because the dietetic aspect is fascinating and I get to help people - in combination, it's perfect for me. I get to enjoy what I learn, do, and get paid to do when I qualify. Enjoying the journey from start to finish, I learn so much from time management, prioritisation to organisation due to the nature of the course and how intense it is because there is so much going on that sometimes it takes to be hard to take a moment to relax. To add to that, I'm learning about my personal growth, especially my emotional and mental resilience to persevere during moments when I want to give up and recognise times when I need to take a break to look after my mental health.

Of course, there are opportunities to progress in your career and get a higher position. This is mainly dependent on your experience and knowledge. It's important to keep your mind and options open because there are plenty of different fields to go into that's not just the NHS. Though, bear in mind that to advance to a higher position such as management, you may need a Master's.

To enjoy and like your career will depend on what you're looking for, what your aims are, and what your realistic expectations are. What does living comfortably mean to you? What does a good salary look like to you? It's important to remember that working up the career ladder as an NHS Dietitian your focus will more likely concentrate on the enjoyment of helping people as opposed to earning the most amount of money. The best way (personally) to attain a higher salary would most likely be freelance.

I hope this helps!

Veronica
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed