Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Conflicted between choices... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So to start off, I'll tell you a little bit about who I am..
    I moved into UK almost 5 years ago now and I've been studying art and computing relating courses ever since. From my GCSE art and graphics to picking art, graphics, computing A levels. Afterwards I went off to be doing a foundation course in art and design to figure out that I wanted to do games design further despite not having any past experience in the course. I'm currently on this foundation course.

I recently applied to 5 universities, got all 5 offers. My first two choices, Northampton and Huddersfield, both gave me unconditional offers. I am conflicted. So far, here's my first impression on things:
    Northampton seems to accept random people - I have noticed people who have really crap work get accepted. Although, their accommodation is amazing. They've new buildings that finish in September, in both teaching facilities and accommodation. They seem to provide a lot (tablets, software) but they have less tutors and more students (around 4 tutors and accept around 100 students~?). Huddersfield has less students and more tutors (part time tutors of gaming companies included + 50 students), but their accommodation's not that nice. The best is booked out now. Its a bit cheaper to live than Northampton but Hudds appears like it'd be difficult to be in, like they are so strict, or atleast they came off as... I am so scared I would do badly at Hudds because they seem to pick good people. I think this is a good thing, but I have no experience in the gaming industry - I would struggle on the programming aspect of it, unless they really will teach me well and are okay with the fact that I am not amazing at it. Also some reviews are saying the teachers are bullies for other races and nationalities..... again the reviews are mostly 5 stars, there are only like one every now and then that say stuff about the teachers.. I don't know.. I don't want to make a bad decision. Huddersfield ranks highest out of any of my chosen universities, and it seems great, I want to be able to get a job after I've graduated, but I'm afraid of going into Huddersfield thinking it's amazing and they will teach me closely, when they'd rely on my experience as a games designer, which I've none of.

Regarding my interviews, the Northampton one was daunting. It was a 1 on 1 interview with one of the tutors, he kept criticising my work and pointing out the flaws in them. Most of my work is traditional but I gave him a folder with my digital character based work that I've done outside college, which he also went on to criticise. I felt awful. I really wanted to go onto the course but he ended up giving me questions that I answered quite alright and in the end he said he would give me an offer.
    The Huddersfield interview first looked strange at my portfolio and almost went onto say that I am not who they are looking for, but then I showed him my digital work and my A level fine art observational drawing book, which had one of his favourite artists in it as well. He was really happy to see that and I've answered his questions well (struggled on the coding parts of it, mechanics of games however) he said he sees me as a hard worker and gave me an offer. It wasn't much bad as it was a rollercoaster of emotions.

Can someone suggest me what to do? I'm so conflicted and scared I would get myself into the wrong place. I like to think I'm a hard worker but I don't want to kill myself trying to understand how to do coding when what I want most is to be an artist in the industry. I also want to find a job afterwards of course..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by migliuee)
    I moved into UK almost 5 years ago now and I've been studying art and computing relating courses ever since. From my GCSE art and graphics to picking art, graphics, computing A levels. Afterwards I went off to be doing a foundation course in art and design to figure out that I wanted to do games design further despite not having any past experience in the course. I'm currently on this foundation course.

I recently applied to 5 universities, got all 5 offers.
    Where else have you had offers from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Where else have you had offers from?
    Salford, Staffordshire, Hull college

ReputationRep:
    Salford, Staffordshire, Hull college
    So what about these three? Neither of the two you talk about sound perfect for you.

ReputationRep:
    So what about these three? Neither of the two you talk about sound perfect for you.
    Salford's course is focusing on the programming side of it rather than artistic, Staffordshire changed my course to "+foundation", which I don't think is right for me because I am on a foundation course currently. Hull college only has one tutor, generally I only applied in case I don't get the student finance sorted or something went wrong and I had to live at home (because I haven't lived in the UK for 5 years just yet).

ReputationRep:
    Salford's course is focusing on the programming side of it rather than artistic, Staffordshire changed my course to "+foundation", which I don't think is right for me because I am on a foundation course currently. Hull college only has one tutor, generally I only applied in case I don't get the student finance sorted or something went wrong and I had to live at home (because I haven't lived in the UK for 5 years just yet).
    OK - of the two it sounds like you prefer Huddersfield but are worried you will not cope. Have you checked the course content of both to see whether you like them equally? Is there an opportunity to go and visit again?

Accomodation is usually just for the first year so what are student houses like?

ReputationRep:
    OK - of the two it sounds like you prefer Huddersfield but are worried you will not cope. Have you checked the course content of both to see whether you like them equally? Is there an opportunity to go and visit again?

Accomodation is usually just for the first year so what are student houses like?
    They both put a lot of things to learn into first year, the other years being more flexible. Both have parts of programming in it, at least Northampton have said it doesn't matter if you don't know much computing, they will show everything. I didn't quite ask about the programming bit in Huddersfield, they just checked I've done computing in A level and they were ok with it. I was a bit too nervous and nothing came in mind at that time. I don't think I can visit them again, they're very far away from me :/
    I only checked the accommodation the universities provide to see what is best for me, so that they're not too far from the unis, everything else I think I might sort later on.

ReputationRep:
    They both put a lot of things to learn into first year, the other years being more flexible. Both have parts of programming in it, at least Northampton have said it doesn't matter if you don't know much computing, they will show everything. I didn't quite ask about the programming bit in Huddersfield, they just checked I've done computing in A level and they were ok with it. I was a bit too nervous and nothing came in mind at that time. I don't think I can visit them again, they're very far away from me :/
    I only checked the accommodation the universities provide to see what is best for me, so that they're not too far from the unis, everything else I think I might sort later on.
    All I can suggest is a pros and cons list for both and see which comes out on top. You could e-mail Huddersfield about the course content?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

I recently applied to 5 universities, got all 5 offers. My first two choices, Northampton and Huddersfield, both gave me unconditional offers. I am conflicted. So far, here's my first impression on things:
    Northampton seems to accept random people - I have noticed people who have really crap work get accepted. Although, their accommodation is amazing. They've new buildings that finish in September, in both teaching facilities and accommodation. They seem to provide a lot (tablets, software) but they have less tutors and more students (around 4 tutors and accept around 100 students~?). Huddersfield has less students and more tutors (part time tutors of gaming companies included + 50 students), but their accommodation's not that nice. The best is booked out now. Its a bit cheaper to live than Northampton but Hudds appears like it'd be difficult to be in, like they are so strict, or atleast they came off as... I am so scared I would do badly at Hudds because they seem to pick good people. I think this is a good thing, but I have no experience in the gaming industry - I would struggle on the programming aspect of it, unless they really will teach me well and are okay with the fact that I am not amazing at it. Also some reviews are saying the teachers are bullies for other races and nationalities..... again the reviews are mostly 5 stars, there are only like one every now and then that say stuff about the teachers.. I don't know.. I don't want to make a bad decision. Huddersfield ranks highest out of any of my chosen universities, and it seems great, I want to be able to get a job after I've graduated, but I'm afraid of going into Huddersfield thinking it's amazing and they will teach me closely, when they'd rely on my experience as a games designer, which I've none of.

Regarding my interviews, the Northampton one was daunting. It was a 1 on 1 interview with one of the tutors, he kept criticising my work and pointing out the flaws in them. Most of my work is traditional but I gave him a folder with my digital character based work that I've done outside college, which he also went on to criticise. I felt awful. I really wanted to go onto the course but he ended up giving me questions that I answered quite alright and in the end he said he would give me an offer.
    The Huddersfield interview first looked strange at my portfolio and almost went onto say that I am not who they are looking for, but then I showed him my digital work and my A level fine art observational drawing book, which had one of his favourite artists in it as well. He was really happy to see that and I've answered his questions well (struggled on the coding parts of it, mechanics of games however) he said he sees me as a hard worker and gave me an offer. It wasn't much bad as it was a rollercoaster of emotions.

Can someone suggest me what to do? I'm so conflicted and scared I would get myself into the wrong place. I like to think I'm a hard worker but I don't want to kill myself trying to understand how to do coding when what I want most is to be an artist in the industry. I also want to find a job afterwards of course..

Hi @migliuee

Firstly – congratulations on getting two unconditional offers! That is great news and I am sure you will excel in any course you choose.

To put your mind at rest, we can chat to the lecturers on the course on your behalf and give you some more information about the structure and modules? We do have a full support system in place to make sure you do the best you can. Do you want to private message us on TSR and we can chat through your questions?

Speak soon

Rachel UoH

ReputationRep:

What does your heart say? It's usually right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Huddersfield)
    Hi @migliuee

Firstly – congratulations on getting two unconditional offers! That is great news and I am sure you will excel in any course you choose.

To put your mind at rest, we can chat to the lecturers on the course on your behalf and give you some more information about the structure and modules? We do have a full support system in place to make sure you do the best you can. Do you want to private message us on TSR and we can chat through your questions?

Speak soon

Rachel UoH
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I decided to pick Huddersfield regardless. Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I decided to pick Huddersfield regardless. Thank you!
    That's great news Migliuee, we are looking forward to welcoming you in September :] If you think of any questions before you start just let us know.
    See you soon
    Rachel UoH

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.