Turn on thread page Beta

Was choosing an English degree the wrong choice? watch

I've applied for English courses and at the moment I'm starting to regret my decision; mainly because of graduate prospects. I originally choose English as it was closely related to my career aspirations (that is, to become a published writer), and I was well aware that such a degree is not necessary for this, but since it would (presumably) improve my skills for writing, I saw it fit to for a degree related to my career aspirations, than to do something with slightly better graduate prospects, which would deter me from achieving my goal as quickly.

I'm still unsure whether it is the wrong choice, other courses (i.e. Law or Management) seem irrelevant to my career path and although they may make me more employable, I can't figure out whether getting a higher paid job would be worth it if it will simply slow down progression towards my actual goals (and even then, I recognise the need for a stable income whilst being a writer), it's all really complicated :/

ReputationRep:
    If you find English an enjoyable subject, you can study this at university. Using the transferrable skills you get (combined with work experience) you can apply for a wide range of graduate schemes and jobs.

I know some friends and family who studied English at university:
    - one is working in marketing: started off in the charity sector, now works for a university
    - completed a short term job at a publishers, now working a permanent full time role at another publishers
    - taught English abroad for a year, returned and applied for graduate scheme in the civil service, now studying to be an accountant
    - considering studying Accountancy
    - completed a PGCE and is teaching

Whilst English doesn't lead to a specific career route, it gives you lots of skills which opens up a lot of doors for you. Use your time wisely to get practical work experience and volunteering at the same time. If you are looking to be a writer, you could look to do copywriting or interning at a newspaper/magazine office?

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    If you find English an enjoyable subject, you can study this at university. Using the transferrable skills you get (combined with work experience) you can apply for a wide range of graduate schemes and jobs.

I know some friends and family who studied English at university:
    - one is working in marketing: started off in the charity sector, now works for a university
    - completed a short term job at a publishers, now working a permanent full time role at another publishers
    - taught English abroad for a year, returned and applied for graduate scheme in the civil service, now studying to be an accountant
    - considering studying Accountancy
    - completed a PGCE and is teaching

Whilst English doesn't lead to a specific career route, it gives you lots of skills which opens up a lot of doors for you. Use your time wisely to get practical work experience and volunteering at the same time. If you are looking to be a writer, you could look to do copywriting or interning at a newspaper/magazine office?
    It's just the concern that statistically, on average, English graduates have lower paid salaries than most other graduates which is the main worry, that I'd be less employable?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.