Turn on thread page Beta

To what extent will my EXACT Maths grade matter...? watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking to do Medicine at uni. I am well aware it’s difficult and competitive, but I adore Biology and can push to achieve the right grades in that and Chemistry. English is my strong point, getting 9s in that... Worried about my maths grade though. We’re with Edexcel, new spec 9-1, and there’s three papers out of 80 marks. I can’t seem to get above 45/80 on a GOOD day — that equates to a grade 7, or old ‘A’ grade. not outstanding really.

I hate Maths with a burning passion. Not the graphs and stats side of it, as I can interpret data fine, but shapes and algebra make me want to cry. I can do it but with great difficulty somehow I’m still in the top set of my year group. No clue how I’ve managed that one! So yeah. I’m averaging anywhere around 20-45 marks on each paper, really depends on the day. Recently I’ve been getting around the 42 marker.

In the summer, my grade will perhaps be a 5, most likely be a 6 and there’s a slither of a chance it’ll be a 7. As I said, my other subjects aren’t bad, it’s really just maths I despise. Not planning on taking it further than GCSE but worried it’ll disadvantage me in terms of coping with A level sciences, getting into uni and the uni degree itself. Not interested in Oxbridge. Any advice or personal experience welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethistu7)
    Looking to do Medicine at uni. I am well aware it’s difficult and competitive, but I adore Biology and can push to achieve the right grades in that and Chemistry. English is my strong point, getting 9s in that... Worried about my maths grade though. We’re with Edexcel, new spec 9-1, and there’s three papers out of 80 marks. I can’t seem to get above 45/80 on a GOOD day — that equates to a grade 7, or old ‘A’ grade. not outstanding really.

I hate Maths with a burning passion. Not the graphs and stats side of it, as I can interpret data fine, but shapes and algebra make me want to cry. I can do it but with great difficulty somehow I’m still in the top set of my year group. No clue how I’ve managed that one! So yeah. I’m averaging anywhere around 20-45 marks on each paper, really depends on the day. Recently I’ve been getting around the 42 marker.

In the summer, my grade will perhaps be a 5, most likely be a 6 and there’s a slither of a chance it’ll be a 7. As I said, my other subjects aren’t bad, it’s really just maths I despise. Not planning on taking it further than GCSE but worried it’ll disadvantage me in terms of coping with A level sciences, getting into uni and the uni degree itself. Not interested in Oxbridge. Any advice or personal experience welcome.
    As long as you get an A (7) in maths u will be fine. dont worry about these small thing

ReputationRep:
    Let me tell you now from experience you better pass Maths and one of English Lit and Lan or you aint going to make it to A Levels as Sixth Forms/Colleges never mind Uni will not take anything lower than a Grade 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethistu7)

Different medical schools require different grades in GCSE Maths. A quick way of comparing the requirements is by using https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...omparisontool/ though you should always check again before submitting your application.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.