The Student Room Group

Grammar school or Private school, if you have been offered scholarship?

Hi Everyone,
I have a 10 year old son. Very Bright and Intelligent. He appeared in 2 different grammar tests. Buckinghamshire and Slough consortium.
He passed both of them with really good marks.
He also gave scholarship exam at a local private school, (His Current school) He passed that as well and have been offered scholarship.
Earlier my priority was Grammar school, as I can not afford private for next 5 years. Now when that financial issue is not there, I am not able to select which is a better option and what to choose.
I need opinion from different people to make my decision.

Thanks,
BrightMum
which school gets better grades ? which school does he prefer? which one will offer him more opportunities? e.g. extra curricular activities. Which has better pastoral support?
Reply 2
Because he has numbers of food allergies issue, I prefer private, but that's should not be the way I decide for the school. I wanted to decide on basis of Academic benefits he can get from the right school. His current private school is also very good, but it's a small school, may not get a wider exposer!
Really confused.
Original post by BrightMum
Hi Everyone,
I have a 10 year old son. Very Bright and Intelligent. He appeared in 2 different grammar tests. Buckinghamshire and Slough consortium.
He passed both of them with really good marks.
He also gave scholarship exam at a local private school, (His Current school) He passed that as well and have been offered scholarship.
Earlier my priority was Grammar school, as I can not afford private for next 5 years. Now when that financial issue is not there, I am not able to select which is a better option and what to choose.
I need opinion from different people to make my decision.

Thanks,
BrightMum

You won't know whether he's got a GS place yet. Which school did you rank frst in your CAF? Presumably you know Bucks GS offer places on distance not score [if you get 121+ and qualify]?
How good is the Private school - many around Bucks aren't great because of the GS.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
You won't know whether he's got a GS place yet. Which school did you rank frst in your CAF? Presumably you know Bucks GS offer places on distance not score [if you get 121+ and qualify]?
How good is the Private school - many around Bucks aren't great because of the GS.

We are within the catchment area for both grammar schools.
Original post by BrightMum
We are within the catchment area for both grammar schools.

I'd go with the Grammar- they are all great schools.

Wait and check you do get a GS place - not everyone in catchment was allocated a place last March.
(edited 6 years ago)
I went to grammar school, and although it’s not brilliant (low funding so we have really old buildings and barely-on heating) I would still prefer it to the private schools I know of mainly due to the environments there.
i wouldnt recomend a private school, its so far from reality your child will be overwhelmed when hes 18
Private school definitely. There are much more opportunities, grades are usually higher and university guidance is also very strong. Your child will be set for life.

Quick Reply