Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post. I'm 22, currently freelance illustrating and managing a YouTube account. I'm signed onto a management company too. I have good social media skills and illustration is a strong skill (digital, traditional art etc.) I've illustrated for various other social media people, including releasing a book full of illustrations last year that did quite well.

However, recently business has gone quite quiet and I understand this happens to everyone who's self employed but I just have no idea where to go from here.

I don't possess a degree, the only qualifications I own are in a BTEC National Diploma in Visual Arts and I've found that whenever I look for a job in a creative field it's for something I'm not qualified for, or so far from what my skills are adjusted to.

2 years ago I worked in retail, only doing freelance illustrating on the side but I feel like I would be taking huge steps backwards if I tried to go back (even though I feel like nobody would hire me now anyway, considering the large gap in my CV where I've been self employed).

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on where to go from here? Do I just hustle and message lots of magazines, websites or otherwise and see if they want any work done? Or do I stray further from the art side of things, social media related maybe? I'd like to think I know what I'm doing roughly and have experience in it too.

I feeling a bit low about all of this, I work my butt off for very little pay-off and was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation or has any suggestions on where I could possibly go from here?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Would you consider extra qualifications to open you up for higher roles?

The emphasis needs to be on the strength of your portfolio and the contacts that you make as your progress. Try and pick up as many skills as possible during your different placements to boost your CV.

You worry about the large gap in your CV due to self employment. Freelance work can be hard to get, and the schedule is not as regular as working for someone else. You still demonstrated good skills and worked with various companies, so I wouldn't think about this as a gap. If you decide to go back to education, I don't see it as a step back, rather one to increase your chances of getting a job in the field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Would you consider extra qualifications to open you up for higher roles?

The emphasis needs to be on the strength of your portfolio and the contacts that you make as your progress. Try and pick up as many skills as possible during your different placements to boost your CV.

You worry about the large gap in your CV due to self employment. Freelance work can be hard to get, and the schedule is not as regular as working for someone else. You still demonstrated good skills and worked with various companies, so I wouldn't think about this as a gap. If you decide to go back to education, I don't see it as a step back, rather one to increase your chances of getting a job in the field.
    I tried University and hated it to pieces, I've never been an academic person as is, and there aren't really any short courses with qualifications for the things in my field (that I'm aware of, it all gets really confusing to me!).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.