Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by CrazyKittenLady)
    I get what you mean. How can we make them look more modern but individual to tsr? xxx
    You could use the TSR Blobs? They could perhaps be used as a set of basic standard smilies. A couple stolen from the TSR Group site:

They fit in more with the TSR theme and avoid being too close to the unicode emojis.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guy's so I think we all know that our smileys are great but really old school! So my plan is to redo these...

Let me know what you think and read the image below for more info
    (we also know how much of a nightmare the smileys page is and are looking towards sorting this out in the future but our dev team are busy on other new and exciting changes at the moment)

Hmm the new smilies look more like Android emojis.. I personally think they'd look better with key features (such as their eyes, not dots for eyes) retained, just in the same flat style you've done.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Was excited when I saw the title, as I assumed it meant more, additional smilies. :moon:

As with most changes, I don't like it, but it'll happen anyway. :grumble: And I'll keep on using them, no doubt. Certainly not as offensive as whatever that new edit 'button' is supposed to be.
    heya we are aiming to release some newer ones too but I just wanted to review the style of the old ones first as they age the look of our thread pages quite a bit. especially on beta.

This change won't happen for a while anyway because there is one of me and 500+ smileys that I need to look over. i agree that there are some amazing ones. I also like the idea of trying to make them more personal to TSR so loving hearing everyone's views on these as it helps us to shape the future of TSR xxx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think the new ones look clean but i prefer the old ones just because it has borders around it and looks bolder so the emotions seem to stand out more to me (hope i made sense)

I prefer the older ones tbh.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by 8472)
    You could use the TSR Blobs? They could perhaps be used as a set of basic standard smilies. A couple stolen from the TSR Group site:

They fit in more with the TSR theme and avoid being too close to the unicode emojis.
    I like the idea of that. :yy:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by 8472)

(Original post by k.n.h.)
    Hmm the new smilies look more like Android emojis.. I personally think they'd look better with key features (such as their eyes, not dots for eyes) retained, just in the same flat style you've done.
    Hey both I tried out your ideas what do you think? xxx
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I like the eyes rather than dots better :love:
    Although the blobbies also look cool...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Awww, so cute. Nicely done! But yes agreed, especially eyes not dots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I still prefer the blobs even though something does seem a bit odd about them. The others with eyes rather than dots look better than before.

ReputationRep:
    Nice!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey Guy's so I think we all know that our smileys are great but really old school! So my plan is to redo these...

Let me know what you think and read the image below for more info
    (we also know how much of a nightmare the smileys page is and are looking towards sorting this out in the future but our dev team are busy on other new and exciting changes at the moment)

I much prefer the old ones and don't really like the new ones at all! Though the pop out tab thing for emojis is really annoying. I kind of feel like the TSR community is being informed rather than asked here, and that we are giving our opinions on something that has already been decided .

Also, I think that our win over England last weekend in the 6 Nations Calcutta Cup is a sufficient mandate for a Scottish smiley. :yep: Other countries could benefit from one also

ReputationRep:
    I love the new ones! They're cute! xx
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    I much prefer the old ones and don't really like the new ones at all! Though the pop out tab thing for emojis is really annoying. I kind of feel like the TSR community is being informed rather than asked here, and that we are giving our opinions on something that has already been decided .

Also, I think that our win over England last weekend in the 6 Nations Calcutta Cup is a sufficient mandate for a Scottish smiley. :yep: Other countries could benefit from one also
    Hey

Thanks for letting me know what is it you like about the old ones?

I'm also not informing the TSR community of a change, no decision has been made regarding style yet, it's just a little side project I startedd working on. Only made 5 which I have shared on here and I have been mocking up any changes and ideas that other users have so that we can all collabarate and update our smileys together as they haven't been changed in forever :P.

Also I hate the smiley input too it's so unfriendly to use. The developmemt team have it in their to-do list but there is more important stuff in there at the min so while we are waiting for that I thought I would have a play with some ideas xxx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey

Thanks for letting me know what is it you like about the old ones?

I'm also not informing the TSR community of a change, no decision has been made regarding style yet, it's just a little side project I startedd working on. Only made 5 which I have shared on here and I have been mocking up any changes and ideas that other users have so that we can all collabarate and update our smileys together as they haven't been changed in forever :P.

Also I hate the smiley input too it's so unfriendly to use. The developmemt team have it in their to-do list but there is more important stuff in there at the min so while we are waiting for that I thought I would have a play with some ideas xxx
    I think that versus the proposed ones, the outlines give them a clearer definition and make them look more detailed and just generally better The eyes on the new ones look a bit weird as well, with them being dots rather than eyes. (Sorry if this has all been said/addressed above- i haven't read through the whole thread ) I can't deny that familiarity comes into it a bit too

Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying, and sorry for misinterpreting

That's great it's on their list as it would be so much easier if it could be improved Very understandable that other things are above that though
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    This is bloody adorable CKL
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    I think that versus the proposed ones, the outlines give them a clearer definition and make them look more detailed and just generally better The eyes on the new ones look a bit weird as well, with them being dots rather than eyes. (Sorry if this has all been said/addressed above- i haven't read through the whole thread ) I can't deny that familiarity comes into it a bit too

Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying, and sorry for misinterpreting

That's great it's on their list as it would be so much easier if it could be improved Very understandable that other things are above that though
    Thanks I'll try a outlined version as you and a couple of other members have mentioned that.

I agree about the eyes as there so small they look more like square dots instead of circles. Will keep playing want to get the style right and everyone happy before I start making more. I just want them to be less pixelated round the edges

Hopefully the more hype we can get around smileys the higher up the to-do list the development team can put the interface changes. (when I work on these I will also share to the community so that we can get it implemented in the best possible way) xxx

Have a lovely evening and will make sure to tag you when I try out a outlined version xxx
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    This is bloody adorable CKL
    Thank you just playing around with ideas inbetween meetings and other bits and bobs how are you hope your having a lovely time at uni I really need to catch up with your blog x
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thank you just playing around with ideas inbetween meetings and other bits and bobs how are you hope your having a lovely time at uni I really need to catch up with your blog x
    I'm a bit meh atm but it'll be cool I'm OK generally. Uni is goooood! I've not posted in my blog though not to worry! I'm sure I'll be around for results day or something at the office and I can tell you about it then I'm sure
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    I'm a bit meh atm but it'll be cool I'm OK generally. Uni is goooood! I've not posted in my blog though not to worry! I'm sure I'll be around for results day or something at the office and I can tell you about it then I'm sure

Aww im feeling a bit meh to atm I blame the weather. You definately have to be around for results day you need to see how big skittles and scoot have got!! and we will go for another drink again woo xxx

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.