The Student Room Group

I don't know what to accept...

I 100% want to go to Leeds, With Access - making it an ABB offer.

I would like my insurance to be below this offer just in case somehow I mess up, however two of my other offers are also for ABB, so to put this lower I will have to put it as Hull. However, If for some reason I happen to not get into Leeds - I don't really want to go to Hull. What should I do?
Reply 1
Just put down the uni you prefer as your insurance, there's no point putting one that you don't like and you know you don't even want to go to. There's still a chance that you might get into another ABB uni get in even if you miss the grades a bit.
Original post by sundae
Just put down the uni you prefer as your insurance, there's no point putting one that you don't like and you know you don't even want to go to. There's still a chance that you might get into another ABB uni get in even if you miss the grades a bit.

This ^
Original post by hoodwinker

I would like my insurance to be below this offer just in case somehow I mess up, however two of my other offers are also for ABB, so to put this lower I will have to put it as Hull. However, If for some reason I happen to not get into Leeds - I don't really want to go to Hull. What should I do?

Do not go to a University that you don't want to. It is not worth the time, money and effort.

I advise you to put down two of your top choices and work your socks off to get the grades.

All the best.

I feel as though I'm in the same position as you because I got an offer from Leeds with Access for ABB, and my other offer is AAB from Sheffield which I want as my backup. Even though its higher and I know that I want to go to Leeds, Im just gonna work harder in my A levels and hope for the best. I also kinda wanna go to sheffield too.

Don't put a uni you don't want to go to. My favourite gave me a lowered offer so when I firmed it my insurance was higher.
You can select any of the other 3 universities than Hull or Leeds with ABB that you feel would accept you if you got BBB or BBC.

Or just select Hull and then ask the other 3 universities if they would take you in Clearing if Leeds wouldn't.

I firmed Imperial and didn't get in. My other 4 offers were Nottingham, Southampton, Surrey and Portsmouth.

I selected Portsmouth as insurance for obvious reasons. However I had no intention of going there, I just wanted an insurance choice in case I effed up bad.

I didn't f up bad but I didn't get the grades I wanted and failed Imperial. On Results Day I phoned up Nottingham and Southampton if they would still take me. Both had open spaces on my course for my grades so I phoned up Portsmouth and asked to get released, called Southampton again to get an offer and then went to Southampton.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Don't put a uni you don't want to go to. My favourite gave me a lowered offer so when I firmed it my insurance was higher.

They are obviously not going to get a lower offer if their offer was already decreased on the basis of Access policies.
Reply 8

If you don't want to go to Hull.

Then, choose out of your other ABB offers. It is a risk, but if you really don't want to go there, then don't put it down.. since your paying £9,250 a year and then paying accommodation. Choose a place where you will be happy.
Original post by LostAccount
They are obviously not going to get a lower offer if their offer was already decreased on the basis of Access policies.

Did you actually read my post? ALL I was saying was that you don't have to have an insurance offer LOWER than your firm.
Original post by Muttley79
Did you actually read my post? ALL I was saying was that you don't have to have an insurance offer LOWER than your firm.

An insurance choice with higher grades than your firm by its very nature is nonsensical.
Original post by LostAccount
An insurance choice with higher grades than your firm by its very nature is nonsensical.

No it's not - your firm is where you want to go the most not your highest offer. You don't actually have to have an insurance and I did do what I said - my insurance was higher. Unis vary on how much leeway they will give on a missed offer.

I got my firm anyway ...
I had an AAA offer as my firm (LSE) and an AAA offer as my insurance (Nottingham).

While I knew LSE would reject me if I didn't get at least AAA, I thought there was a very good chance Nottingham would take me if I got AAB, or that they would at least let me transfer onto a slightly different course.

Made any progress on your decision?
Reply 14
Original post by MKaur18
Made any progress on your decision?

I decided to go with Leeds as my firm, with Newcastle as my Insurance - rationale being if i do have to go to my insurance , and apparently newcastle MAY give a place still if you miss by a grade or so, I would rather go there than somewhere I really dont want to go.
I decided to go with Leeds as my firm, with Newcastle as my Insurance - rationale being if i do have to go to my insurance , and apparently newcastle MAY give a place still if you miss by a grade or so, I would rather go there than somewhere I really dont want to go.

That’s a good idea

Quick Reply

Latest