Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    So I am a first-year History/History of Art student and I've just got my offer of international exchange. Long story short, in January I was applying happily for an exchange, completely convinced that I won't get in (I seriously have to stop doing that... the same thing happened with high school and uni in UK... I am an international student).
    Being sure that my motivational statement is not good enough, I've applied only to the universities that I deemed "superbly cool" (that means in Japan or some huge cities in States and Canada). And here I am now, getting the offer from my first choice (Akita International University). I have done my share of research - read some opinions, checked the costs and courses, talked with my friends and so on.
    Everything seems great. I mean... It is Japan, I would have a chance to finally learn Japanese what I am putting off for ages, learn some Asian history (my uni is pretty much focused only on Europe and territory of British Empire), meet new people...
    Right... The latter is one of the reasons for my inner struggle and thinking that it is super scary. Truth to said, I am not the most social person ever. I have few friends (but they are awesome, let's give them that) as connecting with people is not the easiest thing for me and I can't say that I am a party animal. I am more "I would rather stay in and just watch asian dramas/Netflix kind of person". And I hate flying. I can deal with it, but a sole thought of layover and running through the airport trying to catch next plane because my flight has been delayed is filling me with sheer dread.
    So here is my question... If you were me, would you go? Has anyone ever done an exchange in Japan and can possibly share they experience?
    Thanks in advance
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Dijira)
    Hi guys!
    So I am a first-year History/History of Art student and I've just got my offer of international exchange. Long story short, in January I was applying happily for an exchange, completely convinced that I won't get in (I seriously have to stop doing that... the same thing happened with high school and uni in UK... I am an international student).
    Being sure that my motivational statement is not good enough, I've applied only to the universities that I deemed "superbly cool" (that means in Japan or some huge cities in States and Canada). And here I am now, getting the offer from my first choice (Akita International University). I have done my share of research - read some opinions, checked the costs and courses, talked with my friends and so on.
    Everything seems great. I mean... It is Japan, I would have a chance to finally learn Japanese what I am putting off for ages, learn some Asian history (my uni is pretty much focused only on Europe and territory of British Empire), meet new people...
    Right... The latter is one of the reasons for my inner struggle and thinking that it is super scary. Truth to said, I am not the most social person ever. I have few friends (but they are awesome, let's give them that) as connecting with people is not the easiest thing for me and I can't say that I am a party animal. I am more "I would rather stay in and just watch asian dramas/Netflix kind of person". And I hate flying. I can deal with it, but a sole thought of layover and running through the airport trying to catch next plane because my flight has been delayed is filling me with sheer dread.
    So here is my question... If you were me, would you go? Has anyone ever done an exchange in Japan and can possibly share they experience?
    Thanks in advance
    Hey!

Sorry to haven't received a response

I haven't studied abroad but I did recently travel Nepal alone and then studied yoga in India... as part of that I flew about 8 times and I'm not a great flyer either.

I would definitely go - it will be incredible, it will be hard and it will be so rewarding.

In terms of flying, if you give yourself enough time between flights i.e. 2-3 hours your insurance covers any delays. I had to spend 10 hours in Mumbai because I couldn't get a flight sooner than that. I was there between 9pm and 5.30am. I booked myself into the lounge - for £30 quid I could sleep in a sleep pod, use wifi and eat - it's the best £30 i ever spent! Worth saving your student loan for.
    Try to frame your flights as an indulgence... I see them as a time where I can watch as many films as I like, sleep as much as I want, pack yummy snacks.... when else is that possible!!?

In terms of making friends, you will find other international students who are keen to make new mates, you'll all be in the same boat. Also, from a cultural point of view I imagine the Japanese are very studious - yep some will party hard - but I don't you'll be alone in terms of the things you enjoy. Also, when I was away, I found that things like whatsapp and facetime meant I didn't really get homesick... people are so accessible these days.

The course sounds amazing and perfect for what you want out of the experience, if you don't do it will you regret it?

Before I went away, two days before I felt extremely anxious.... on one hand, I was super excited, the other way I felt pretty terrified. BUT on the day of travel I was fine. The anticipation didn't feel good to me but know I've done it, I would do it all again tomorrow.

Can the university connect you with current international students to answer your questions/ get a feel for it? That would help a lot

Hope this helps

Hannah

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.