Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am a Mechanical Engineer with total of 5 years of experience in the field (with 2 years experience in Arabic Countries).
    I have received an offer for Automotive Engineering in Cranfield and was planning to make this switch in my career (Currently i'm unemployed and back to my country).
    I do have a MSc in Applied Mechanics but i am more interested in something more specialized.
    I see that i have the energy and passion to commit to a new change so my simple question is this: Am i realistically too old (i will be 36 when i will start the MSc) to find a job on that particular field after Graduation? It is important to note that my working experience does not directly relate to the automotive industry.
    Appreciate any response/input.

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MattG_01)
    Hello,

I am a Mechanical Engineer with total of 5 years of experience in the field (with 2 years experience in Arabic Countries).
    I have received an offer for Automotive Engineering in Cranfield and was planning to make this switch in my career (Currently i'm unemployed and back to my country).
    I do have a MSc in Applied Mechanics but i am more interested in something more specialized.
    I see that i have the energy and passion to commit to a new change so my simple question is this: Am i realistically too old (i will be 36 when i will start the MSc) to find a job on that particular field after Graduation? It is important to note that my working experience does not directly relate to the automotive industry.

Thanks
    Maybe you should contact some automotive manufacturers
    or recruitment agencies. That way you can get feedback if they will consider you etc. I wouldnt think so. You can also contact Cranfield careers for data on employment following the course as to what people have done.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i already contacted Cranfield Careers and doing some research on the subject.

Thanks for the answer
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by MattG_01)
    Hello,

Thanks
    Hi MattG_01,

I'll start by saying congratulations on your offer! MSc Automotive Engineering is quite competitive here at at Cranfield and your experience and first MSc in Applied Mechanics must have counted good for you in the selection process.

I understand the questions you have. I'm an international student myself (incidentally, my first degree is Mechanical Engineering and I have some years experience in reliability engineering) so I understand that thinking of life after an MSc is part of your MSc selection process. The time and money invested is for this reason.

I would want to say this: "age" is not the first prerequisite in terms of career hunt in the UK, as opposed to certain other countries. This is why in resumes in the UK, you do not include your age nor marital options. Employers look for best fit, largely in terms of experience and education and motivation. I'm sure your research would have revealed this. If "age" is considered, it is certainly not documented in the application process. I will not worry too much about it, if I were you.

When you start your MSc, commit to 1. Completing with excellent grades and 2. Making use of the opportunities that come your way before graduation. Because they would come. And, 3. Making those applications much before you graduate. This is my advice for you here. These are things you can control.

I hope this helps?

All the very best and see you soon in Cranfield.

Best Regards,
    Cranfield TSR Rep.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I too got offer for MSc in Automotive Engineering. How is research environment in Msc automotive engineering in cranfield University? I am not in favor of doing a job after MS rather favor doing a phd after MSc. How are the lab facilities for automotive in Cranfield University ?
    Thanks in Advance!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Cranfield University
    Meet the Course Director for your programme of interest Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Sep '18
  2. Cranfield University
    Meet the Course Director for your programme of interest Postgraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.