Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in my second year of uni applying for third year finance. My first year was fine because my mum was a single parent. Second year she moved her boyfriend into her house and although I didn't even know he existed in the tax year SF requests they still took his income into account and it hardly covered my rent so I'm currently working 2 jobs.

My parents split up when I was 1 and I do not receive a penny from either of them. My issue now is that I am no longer in contact with my mum and only speak to her to arrange to see my siblings, will SF take this into account or can I apply to be estranged/ not in contact for 12 months?

Also, what would I need to provide to prove we are no longer in contact? I'm assuming SF cannot access our emails/phones etc so how will this be done?

Many thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 2ndyearforensics)
    Hi,

I'm in my second year of uni applying for third year finance. My first year was fine because my mum was a single parent. Second year she moved her boyfriend into her house and although I didn't even know he existed in the tax year SF requests they still took his income into account and it hardly covered my rent so I'm currently working 2 jobs.

My parents split up when I was 1 and I do not receive a penny from either of them. My issue now is that I am no longer in contact with my mum and only speak to her to arrange to see my siblings, will SF take this into account or can I apply to be estranged/ not in contact for 12 months?

Also, what would I need to provide to prove we are no longer in contact? I'm assuming SF cannot access our emails/phones etc so how will this be done?

Many thanks

Hi 2ndyearforensics,

Students under 25 years old can be assessed as an independent student if they have not communicated with their biological/adoptive parents for a substantial period of time.

They cannot be classed as estranged if any of the following applies:
    • their parents are on low income and don’t support them financially.
    • their parents do not want to give details of their income or refuse to provide financial support to them.
    Student Finance estranged assessors take each case on its own merits and are allowed to make exceptions on the period of no contact where the circumstances are severe and clearly irreconcilable.
    Student Finance require some form of evidence/information from an Independent person with good standing in the community, such as a doctor, teacher, social worker, University finance/support advisor etc.

Thanks Rona

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.